cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Javargas
Level: Powered On

Get time difference in hour

Hello, I am trying to get the time difference between two dates from a sharepoint list item.

When I create a new item I am sending an email with the item's information. 

Now I want to send in the email body the difference between StarDate and EndDate in hour format (hh:mm)

Any help would be great, thanks 

3 REPLIES 3
abm
Level 10

Re: Get time difference in hour

Hi @Javargas ,

There is no date difference function available in flow to calculate the difference between two days. You need to use the ticks function, then subtract the two values and finally divide the difference by a fixed value to get the difference of days. Please see below.

First declare three variables.

dt1.png

Then add the SharePoint GetList 

dt2.png

Next add the loop

dt3.png

Here above the ticks expression is for the start date is as follows.

ticks(items('Apply_to_each')?['StartDate'])

and for the end date

ticks(items('Apply_to_each')?['EndDate'])

Final step is 
dt4.png
Here the function expression for calculating the difference of days is

div(sub(variables('EndDate'),variables('StartDate')),864000000000)

Try the above steps and let me know the results.

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up.

Thanks

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

@Javargas 

Hi there!  So, I went a different route than @abm so you'll have your choice of solutions (great place to be Man Happy) - 

First, a bit about date math in Flow:  It's weird.  Like seriously weird.  But it's not just Flow, I guess a lot of computer date math works like this.  Check out this article on the specifics of how this all works, I think it's a good start for the beginner.

For the solution, I did take the same path in converting the two dates to "ticks".  I don't think there is any way around that yet.  But, instead of dividing everything by 864000000000, which is the number of ticks in a single day...I used 600000000, which converts everything to 'minutes' instead.  So, just like @abm , initialize an integer variable for each date, and for the value, try using  DIV(ticks(utcNow()),600000000)  (but replace the red part with each respective date/time).

So, now you've got two variables...  DateTime001 and DateTime002 (or whatever you call it) both DateTimes are actually numbers counting the number of minutes since New Year's Day, 1601 (no joke, I said it was weird).  Now, we initialize a third (integer) variable that will be the difference between the two...that expression will look like this: 

sub(variables('DateTime001'),variables('DateTime002')) - Again, the red stuff is your actual variable names.

This will give you the difference between the two in number of minutes...so now we just need to format it in the hh:mm format.  This is where it gets fun:

Credit to John Liu for this idea, but basically we are going to add minutes to midnight and have it return that time...which will look like hours and minutes (so, 130 minutes will look like 02:10).  That expression looks like this:

addMinutes(startOfDay(utcNow()), variables('varTimeDiff'), 'hh:mm')  - The red is the variable you created above.  You can see we are just adding a number of minutes to midnight ('start of day') and then formatting that in an hh:mm format.

Pretty cool, I think.

Either way, keep us posted.

-Ed-

If this reply has answered your question or resolved your challenge, please consider marking it as a Solution. This helps other users find it more easily via search.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Javargas ,

Have you considered creating a calculated column?

Please check this online doc and see if it helps:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/office/developer/sharepoint-2010/bb862071(v=offic...

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 51 members 4,716 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: