Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Leo_NYC
Helper I
Helper I

GetItem or GetItems not retrieving value in lookup column

Hi there,

I'm writing a flow to take a subset of items from a source sharepoint list and copy it to a sharepoint list in another group.

The source list resides on a subsite of the first group.  There is a lookup column called "BuildingAsset" that looks up values in a list of the parent site.  This image below shows a couple of list items from the source list.

Leo_NYC_0-1616988817394.png

I wrote a flow and the GetItems or the GetItem actions will pull up the items in the source list, but it leaves out the BuildingAsset lookup column values.  I tried hardcoding the Items() function but keep getting a null or an empty string because the [body/values] has all of the other columns except this one.  Is there a reason why this column or values is being left out of the getItem or getItems actions?  

Leo_NYC_4-1616989417579.png

Leo_NYC_1-1616989003707.png

Leo_NYC_2-1616989078147.png

Leo_NYC_3-1616989177816.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I figured it out!!

If you have a list, where one of the columns is a "lookup" column.  You need to run two (2) "Get Item" actions to get the item from the main table and the corresponding item from the lookup table.  One for the main item, which will offer the "ID" of the main list.  Then you need to call a second Get Item action using the "ID: as the input.

Leo_NYC_0-1617929546384.png

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-duann-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Leo_NYC 

Thank you for posting.

According to your description, you would like to update new item to another list but have problem with copying value from lookup column. If any misunderstanding, please kindly let me know.

I simply the flow by reducing step 3-4 because seems they are used for filtering and will not impact the whole process. When I configure ‘create item’ for that lookup column, I’m able to find the ‘BuildingAsset Id’ accordingly. for lookup type column, it’s similar to choice type column. We are not able to select the dynamic content directly. We should select ‘ColumnName/ID’ or ‘ColumnName/Value’ instead.

v-duann-msft_0-1617002805682.png

If I configure as above, I’m able to create that item with no issue.

Hope the content above may help you.

Best regards,

Anna

I figured it out!!

If you have a list, where one of the columns is a "lookup" column.  You need to run two (2) "Get Item" actions to get the item from the main table and the corresponding item from the lookup table.  One for the main item, which will offer the "ID" of the main list.  Then you need to call a second Get Item action using the "ID: as the input.

Leo_NYC_0-1617929546384.png

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Process Advisor

Introducing Process Advisor

Check out the new Process Advisor community forum board!

MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

Users online (11,573)