cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
animartis
Level: Powered On

Getting Director only from Get Manager (V2)

I have a flow that pulls an employee's manager and populates a field in a SharePoint list when they create a new item. I want to expand this to include the Director of each employee, but some employees report to managers and some report to supervisors. 

When using the Job Title in Get Manager, it will return Supv, xxxx for those that report to supervisors and Mgr, xxxx for managers (hopefully this naming convention holds true for other departments).

Here is my question. In order to get the director, do I just need to use a Condition that continues 'up the ladder' until I see the director job title or is there an easier way?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
animartis

Re: Getting Director only from Get Manager (V2)

My apologies for the confusion. Basically, I want different levels of leadership to be able to view their team, whether they are a supervisor, manager, or director. But some employees report directly to a supervisor and others to a manager. So if I was to get the leader of their direct leader using 'Get Manager (V2)', it would get  Manager >> Director OR it would get Director >> VP. I want it to get the Director, regardless of if they report to a manager or supervisor.

My final solution was to use a condition to look for "Supv" and run the appropriate flow.

image.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Super User
Super User

Hi @animartis 

Get Manager only return one result sets. No sure what you meant by adding a loop to check until it finds the director?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Highlighted
animartis

My apologies for the confusion. Basically, I want different levels of leadership to be able to view their team, whether they are a supervisor, manager, or director. But some employees report directly to a supervisor and others to a manager. So if I was to get the leader of their direct leader using 'Get Manager (V2)', it would get  Manager >> Director OR it would get Director >> VP. I want it to get the Director, regardless of if they report to a manager or supervisor.

My final solution was to use a condition to look for "Supv" and run the appropriate flow.

image.png

View solution in original post

Super User
Super User

Hi @animartis 

Looks like you are in the direct direction. Get Manager (V2) gets only one level up whether it's manager, supervisor or director. So if you want to go higher up the hierarchy you need to check the designation and make that decision. I can't see any other easy of doing this. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (6,548)