cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
X247327
Regular Visitor

Getting data from power BI works when manually testing but not when automatically triggered

Hello, 

I made a flow to extract everyday the usage metrics of a power BI workspace. It works fine when I trigger it manually, but when it is triggered automatically (early in the morning) the extract is empty. There is no error, it is just empty. 

Here is the first part of the flow where I run the query:

X247327_0-1664278956427.png

Here is the kind of output I get when manually triggering the flow:

X247327_1-1664279210620.png

Here is what I get when the flow is triggered automatically: 

X247327_2-1664279316998.png

I have tried multiple hours to trigger the flow but there is no change. I am a bit at loss because there is no error and I am wondering if it is because the extract is on the usage metrics dataset. Do you have any solution or suggestions? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
srduval
Super User
Super User

depending on what the dataset is doing, your manual trigger could be pulling in the data from when the automatic schedule ran. I believe that refresh dataset isn't one the communicates back to power automate, it sends the refresh signal to power bi and moves on to the next step instead of waiting for a refresh complete message. Try inserting a delay for 2 minutes or however long your dataset takes to refresh in power bi plus 1 minute longer (look at the refresh history in power bi to get an idea). See if that does the trick for you.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
srduval
Super User
Super User

depending on what the dataset is doing, your manual trigger could be pulling in the data from when the automatic schedule ran. I believe that refresh dataset isn't one the communicates back to power automate, it sends the refresh signal to power bi and moves on to the next step instead of waiting for a refresh complete message. Try inserting a delay for 2 minutes or however long your dataset takes to refresh in power bi plus 1 minute longer (look at the refresh history in power bi to get an idea). See if that does the trick for you.

X247327
Regular Visitor

It seems to do the trick, thanks a lot!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Automate News & Announcements

Power Automate News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Automate community.

Power Automate Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Users online (5,548)