cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Jaystechtips
Level: Powered On

Getting error calling a child flow

Hey guys. I've been racking my brain trying to find out a solution for this.

This is my situation.

I would like to trigger another flow after the first one starts. I've been reading this post about using HTTP triggers. https://flow.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/october-updates-for-microsoft-flow/

The problem I have with that is its a premium feature and we would have to pay. I'm currently testing in the Solutions environment but i ran into a problem when connecting the two flows.

Parent Flow Error.jpgError says: child flows only support embedded connections

Child flow

Child Flow.jpgChild flow

Basically after the approval, call the child flow to send an email notification. Its a simple experiment and then i would build my flow from there.

That part is what i'm stuck with.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Getting error calling a child flow

See the Building the Child Flow section of the Call Child Flows documentation, specifically: 

... if your flow uses anything other than built-in actions or the Common Data Service (current environment) connector, you will need to update the flow to use the connections embedded in the flow. To do this, select the back button to get to the child flow's properties page and then select Edit in the Run only users tile.child-flows-child-edit-run-onlyIn the pane that appears, for each connection used in the flow, you will need to select Use this connection (<connection name>) instead of Provided by run-only user.child-flows-child-connectionsThen, you can select Save. At this time, you cannot pass connections from the parent flow to the child flow. If you do not do this you will receive the following error: _The workflow with id '', name cannot be used as a child workflow because child workflows only support embedded connections.

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Super User
Super User

See the Building the Child Flow section of the Call Child Flows documentation, specifically: 

... if your flow uses anything other than built-in actions or the Common Data Service (current environment) connector, you will need to update the flow to use the connections embedded in the flow. To do this, select the back button to get to the child flow's properties page and then select Edit in the Run only users tile.child-flows-child-edit-run-onlyIn the pane that appears, for each connection used in the flow, you will need to select Use this connection (<connection name>) instead of Provided by run-only user.child-flows-child-connectionsThen, you can select Save. At this time, you cannot pass connections from the parent flow to the child flow. If you do not do this you will receive the following error: _The workflow with id '', name cannot be used as a child workflow because child workflows only support embedded connections.

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

View solution in original post

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hi!
'Child flows' is a premium improvement of 'nested flows'. Not sure if the original functionality matches your requirements

https://flow.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/build-nested-flows/

Hope this helps

Each time you click on any of our inspiring answers 'Thumb up' icon...
...an ewok scapes from the stormtroopers.

Be grateful, Thumbs up! Save the Galaxy for free!

Escribo sobre Power Automate en:
https://medium.com/anyone-can-automate/

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Jaystechtips

Hi @efialttes 

Thanks for the reply.

On a related note, about the HTTP connector. This might be the one I need. Though i'm not sure if the company want to pay more unless I give them a pretty convincing reason to buy.

http.jpgPremium Feature

I do have a related question to this. Don't know if this should be posted as a new thread, but here it goes. 

I already contacted sales about this, but they have yet to reply.

I don't know which Power Automate plan suits us.

I'm the only one that needs to create the flow. The other people just receives email approval and respond to it.

Trial.jpgPremium Plan

Thanks for looking into this!

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

@Jaystechtips 

This microsoft document should help everybody to understand the in-depth changes in the licenses, flow runs, api calls etc. 

https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=2085130&clcid=0x409%20

IN my case, the official surce I've just referenced is still confusing when explaining Premium connectors licensing, but in this other unofficial source it is explained the following:

Per Flow and Per User Plans include a variety of data sources called “Connectors.” Microsoft has two tiers of Connectors – Standard and Premium. Both are included with either of the paid plans (Per Flow & Per User), the Dynamics 365 Plan and the PowerApp Plan, but not the Office 365 plans.

Hope this Helps!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Jaystechtips

Thanks @efialttes 

I've been reading this and kinda confused. It did not really got an explanation as to what Power Automate Plan should I get.

It did not answer the question I had in my mind still. 

I'm still waiting for the sales rep from Microsoft to reply so I can ask them questions.

I might do some more testing about these premium connectors.

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

@Jaystechtips 

I understand your point, the official domument is also confusing for me.

As I mentioned the most clear but unofficial info I found on this topic is the following:

Per Flow and Per User Plans include a variety of data sources called “Connectors.” Microsoft has two tiers of Connectors – Standard and Premium. Both are included with either of the paid plans (Per Flow & Per User), the Dynamics 365 Plan and the PowerApp Plan, but not the Office 365 plans.

http://www.interlink.com/blog/entry/radical-changes-to-microsoft-flow-now-called-power-automate

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

New Ranks and Rank Icons in April

Read the announcement for more information!

firstImage

Better Together Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Community Summit North America

The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (4,459)