cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ras1000
Level: Powered On

Getting "Definition contains invalid parameters"

I am working to enhance my skills Microsoft Flows and am starting to use Workflow Definition Language (WDL) expressions.

I have created a flow sets up a variable containing the first names of the father or mother or both.  The first names are extracted  from Microsaft form response fields containing combined first and last names.  It is possible that these fields could be empty, have one parent, or have both.

I created a variable called FirstNameString that I would like to use in a salutation in a customized email further down in the flow.  Unfortunately, I am getting a "Definition contains invalid parameters", when I try to save the flow after inserting the variable.

The expression is: 

if(and(empty(variables('FatherFirstLast')),empty(variables('MotherFirstLast'))),'',if(and(not(empty(variables('FatherFirstLast'))),empty(variables('MotherFirstLast'))),substring(variables('FatherFirstLast'),0,indexOf(variables('FatherFirstLast'),' ')),if(and(empty(variables('FatherFirstLast')),not(empty(variables('MotherFirstLast')))),substring(variables('MotherFirstLast'),0,indexOf(variables('MotherFirstLast'),' ')),concat(substring(variables('FatherFirstLast'),0,indexOf(variables('FatherFirstLast'),' ')),' and ',substring(variables('MotherFirstLast'),0,indexOf(variables('MotherFirstLast'),' '))))))

I should point out that the logic identifies the index of the space between the first and last name, which is then used as the length in the substring for the first name.

Appreciate help from anyone.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ras1000

Re: Getting "Definition contains invalid parameters"

Sorry, it seems to work after clsoing and restarting my flow.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ras1000

After doing a little more troubleshootng the problem seems to be occurring indexOf portion of the code, namely the string to be searched.  In my case the string to be search was a string variable that I had created.

Highlighted
ras1000

I apologize.  I restarted my flow and I no longer encounter the problem.

ras1000

Sorry, it seems to work after clsoing and restarting my flow.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 225 members 5,133 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: