cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jspeer1
Helper II
Helper II

HELP? - Send Teams Message when SharePoint Item is Modified?

Hi all,

I have a Sharepoint list that gets populated with items automatically by using another flow that will receive emails, extract that data and post that data to the Sharepoint List.

I spent some time putting this post together. I would appreciate it if someone could help. Thanks!

I'm now facing an issue:
One of our Columns is titled Assigned to:

Here someone from our team would manually go in and modify that particular field and assign it to someone. The rest of the list is updated automatically with another flow.

SP1.png

I'd then like to:

Only when that particular field in an item is modified/updated --> Trigger a Teams message.

I don't want it triggering if the ticket priority, ticket number, or Short Description field is updated. Only need a message triggered when a Assigned to field is updated.

How can I grab the name the Assigned to field was set to to then use as a recipient of where the Teams message      is going to be sent to?
What this is for is so it sends whoever was 'assigned a ticket' in the SP list to get notified of so and get to work.

sp2.png

Example:

I am going to assign a 'ticket' to myself

sp3.png

Since all the info was already there, how can I it have it trigger when only the assigned to field is modified and then how to send the Teams message which will be directed my way anyways?

Thanks I hope I explained myself 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Apologies, I stand corrected.

I'm not sure on that one, I've just tested it on my side with two different lists and I don't get the apply to each; It could be something to do with your list. Why does it matter that it has an apply to each card? Have you tested it with the card and that is somehow causing it to fail?

You could always try the method I suggested.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
FreddieV
Resolver I
Resolver I

I’m going to assume that your ‘Assigned to’ field in SharePoint is a Person or Group field. If it is not, I would suggest that you make it so.

In your second flow you want to set it up like this: https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Power-Automate/Trigger-flow-when-an-item-in-SharePoint-l...

After you have then determined that the list has been modified, you want to add another, separate condition. The thing is, you can’t trigger a flow to perform something when a column is simply ‘updated’; it needs an additional column with a value that can be selected in order that you can trigger the flow. I suggest something like an ‘Assignment’ column with ‘Assigned’ and ‘Unassigned’ as drop-down vales, that can be used in the Condition.

So you could have: If SP Column ‘Assignment’ is equal to ‘Assigned’ > ‘Post a message as the Flow bot to a user’ if the condition is true.

If it is false: ‘no’ then do nothing.

Then in the above card in the recipient field, you can obtain the email address via the dynamic content from the 'Assigned to’ column, so long as it’s a Person or Group column.

Hope that makes sense.

Jspeer1
Helper II
Helper II

@FreddieV 

I think I somehow found a solution within this here: https://flow.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/run-a-flow-when-a-sharepoint-column-is-modified/

My issue is every time I add the Get Changes for an item or a file (properties only) it puts me into an Apply to Each loop which is not the case when the instructor shows him building it
Why is it putting me into a for an apply to each loop? I can't get rid of it or drag my action outside of it.

sp4.png

The video also then goes to show I can use the Assigned to Email variable to use that to send a message in teams or email which is great but not sure why my Flow insists on putting me into an Apply to Each loop.

Apologies, I stand corrected.

I'm not sure on that one, I've just tested it on my side with two different lists and I don't get the apply to each; It could be something to do with your list. Why does it matter that it has an apply to each card? Have you tested it with the card and that is somehow causing it to fail?

You could always try the method I suggested.

View solution in original post

I finally got it working with even though it put me into that apply to each. I am still uncertain of how versioning works. I set it to have a limit of 10k versions. What would happen since every time an item is modified = new version. And this would happen at least a couple hundred times per day.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Process Advisor

Introducing Process Advisor

Check out the new Process Advisor community forum board!

MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

Users online (15,879)