cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JonathanM
Frequent Visitor

HTTP Post multipart/form-data

Hi,

I am trying to post SharePoint files to a 3rd party via their API.  Their API uses multipart/form-data.  After some trial and error, I can POSTcontent, but only text files come out correctly on the destination.  Other files (Excel, Word, jpg, etc.) post, but the data is not readable. What do I need to do to the file content to format it properly?

Thanks!

http post.png

51 REPLIES 51
v-yuazh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JonathanM,

The file content is with type base 64 when the files with type Excel, Word, jpg, etc.

Best regards,

Alice

Thanks Alice.  I've tried converting the content a variety of ways, but have not been able to get it converted properly.  What should the formula be to convert the file content?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JonathanM Did you ever resolve this issue?

How were you able to post text files using this method in the first place? Everthing I try just converts the whole string to base64 and flow completely ignores the multipart sections.

I'm trying to do it now through swagger but still no luck yet.

Any updates you have here would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Sam

Hi @Anonymous 

This worked for me for any type of content (text, Word, Excel, etc.)

2019-04-02_08h15_42.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JonathanM Thanks for this.

Unfortunately it's not working for me. I'm posting to the API for Atlassian Jira Cloud.

It responds with a code of 200 but no file is actually created.

2019-04-02_1817.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

I got it working in the end. I had to specifically define the content type in the body

Screenshot 2019-04-02 at 22.10.53.png

@JonathanMor @Anonymous  Do you know how to modify the request body to include other parameters in the multi-part form? Your examples appear just to have a single part, which is the file itself.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@WillPage  What else are you trying to update?

Also are you able to make the call you wish from Postman? I used postman calls to a test flow I built to figure out the structure I needed. Perhaps you can do the same. If you have an example of the postman call then screenshot it here as well if you can.

@Anonymous  Thanks for responding.

It's a file upload to Bamboo HR. They need a bit of metadata with the file; a category, which is basically the folder it goes in and whether it's shared or not. Here's their doco https://www.bamboohr.com/api/documentation/employees.php#uploadEmployeeFile

It works fine in Postman, and it works fine posting plain text in the file content using the example copy-pasted in the documentation (with the category changed).

I've tried using your example and adding the metatdata as extra records in the $multipart object like this

{
  "$content-type": "multipart/form-data",
  "$multipart": [
    {
      "headers": {
        "Content-Disposition": "form-data; name=\"category\""
      },
      "body": {
        "$content": "18"
      }
    },
    {
        "Content-Disposition": "form-data; name=\"fileName\""
      },
        "$content": "test.bmp"
      }
    },
    {
        "Content-Disposition": "form-data; name=\"share\""
      },
        "$content": "yes"
      }
    },
    {
      "headers:": {
        "Content-Disposition": "form-data; name = \"file\"; filename=\"test.bmp\""
      },
        "$content-type": "application/octet-stream",
        "$content": {
          "$content-type": "image/bmp",
          "$content": "iVBORw0KGgoAAA............Jggg=="
        }
      }
    }
  ]
}

However, I get 403 Forbidden back from the server. File category 18 is the only one I have write access to, so there's every chance the metadata isn't being sent properly and it's denying me to write whatever the default file category is.

Here's the screen shot from Postman:Capture.PNG

What I pasted as the request body there was copied from the output of a failed run. I spotted that Flow is adding its own record for the body... However, it still fails with a 403:

Request body as seen in the designer:

{
    {
      },
      }
    },
    {
      },
      }
    },
    {
      },
      }
    },
    {
      },
      "body":  @{body('Get_file_content_using_path')}

}
  ]
}

And as seen in the output of a failed run:

{
    {
      },
      }
    },
    {
      },
      }
    },
    {
      },
      }
    },
    {
      },
        "$content-type": "image/bmp",
        "$content": "iVBORw.................Jggg=="
      }
    }
  ]
}
Anonymous
Not applicable

@WillPage  Sorry for the late reply.

1) Does your postman flow work?

2) Assuming it does work, change the endpoint of the postman flow to a new flow just with an HTTP request trigger (add just a compose or something so you can save it. Then run it once and open the log of the flow that ran then copy the body received by the HTTP trigger here. If one of the items youve posted above is already this then let me know which one.

Sam

@AnonymousNow that I've done that it's clear why it isn't working.

This is the body of the request coming from Postman, as captured by a flow with HTTP trigger:

Content-Disposition: form-data; name="category"

Content-Disposition: form-data; name="fileName"

Will Page - Signed Induction.pdf
Content-Disposition: form-data; name="share"

yes
Content-Disposition: form-data; name="file"; filename="Will Page - Signed Induction.pdf"
Content-Type: application/pdf

%PDF-1.7
... Rest of PDF file.

..and this is from Flow:

--cbd9b14e-6955-43e3-a757-c4e5d1d3d3c3
Content-Type: application/json; charset=utf-8

{"$content":"18"}

{"$content":"Will Page - Signed Induction.pdf"}

{"$content":"yes"}
content-type: application/pdf

%PDF-1.7
... Rest of PDF file

I do note that the file content is not corrupt. It looks the same as the original in a text editor at least, which is more than can be said when adding dynamic content from a Get file content action directly into a plain text request body, (like the output from Postman above or the example on the Bamboo HR documentation).

Now, if I can define the multipart boundaries using JSON, and the file content but have the metadata as plain text this would work. Is that possible, or am I going to have to do this in an Azure Function?

So, this body:

{
    {
      },
      "body": "18"
    },
    {
      },
      "body": "Will Page - Signed Induction.pdf"

},
    {
      },
      "body": "yes"
    },
    {
        "Content-Disposition": "form-data; name=\"file\"; filename=\"Will Page - Signed Induction.pdf\""
      },
      "body": @{body('Get_file_content')}
    }
  ]
}

Gives me this output:

--3b77c044-c94c-4156-8322-01ca7e812bcb
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8

Will Page - Signed Induction.pdf

yes

%PDF-1.7

...which looks OK apart from the Content-Type header I didn't ask for in each section. Unfortunately though, The Bamboo HR API gives me a 400 error when I send it this. Guess I'm stuck!

This is the error coming back from the Bamboo HR API now....

Capture.PNG

It's just clicked. For some reason the last part:

{
        "Content-Disposition": "form-data; name=\"file\"; filename=\"Will Page - Signed Induction.pdf\"",
"Content-Type": "application/pdf"
      },
      "body": @{body('Get_file_content')}
    }

When run through the Flow comes out without the Content-Disposition attached:

--4a6c27da-af8b-479d-af08-824f21977c40

%PDF-1.7
..Rest of PDF

--4a6c27da-af8b-479d-af08-824f21977c40

..so close but not quite there!

@AnonymousThanks so much for your help. I finally figured this out:

{
    {
      },
      "body": "18"
    },
    {
      },
      "body": "Will Page - Signed Induction.pdf"
    },
    {
      },
      "body": "yes"
    },
    {
"Content-Disposition": "form-data; name=\"file\"; filename=\"Will Page - Signed Induction.pdf\""},
"$content-type": "application/pdf",
"$content": "@{base64(body('Get_file_content'))}"
}
    }
  ]
}

Without your tip of creating a Flow to capture and debug the output I'd have spent a million years on this - having that info was crucial.

The last part was simply to convert the output of Get file content to Base64 rather than feed the raw content straight into the Flow and let it infer the content type and create an object out of it.

So happy to see this working!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@WillPage So happy to see you've got it working! 

Glad to be of service.

davidlist87
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if you could help with my problem.

I am try to POST an image to a machine learning service but I'm getting a weird error back.

JPG is one of the only content types allowable. I have tested this using Postman multipart/form-data but I am struggling to POST is using raw JSON.

Image 1.jpgImage 3.jpg

You need to show us the body of your HTTP request and the error message, to be in with any chance of getting help.

Helpful resources

Announcements

Celebrating the May Super User of the Month: Laurens Martens

@LaurensM  is an exceptional contributor to the Power Platform Community. Super Users like Laurens inspire others through their example, encouragement, and active participation. We are excited to celebrated Laurens as our Super User of the Month for May 2024.   Consistent Engagement:  He consistently engages with the community by answering forum questions, sharing insights, and providing solutions. Laurens dedication helps other users find answers and overcome challenges.   Community Expertise: As a Super User, Laurens plays a crucial role in maintaining a knowledge sharing environment. Always ensuring a positive experience for everyone.   Leadership: He shares valuable insights on community growth, engagement, and future trends. Their contributions help shape the Power Platform Community.   Congratulations, Laurens Martens, for your outstanding work! Keep inspiring others and making a difference in the community!   Keep up the fantastic work!        

Check out the Copilot Studio Cookbook today!

We are excited to announce our new Copilot Cookbook Gallery in the Copilot Studio Community. We can't wait for you to share your expertise and your experience!    Join us for an amazing opportunity where you'll be one of the first to contribute to the Copilot Cookbook—your ultimate guide to mastering Microsoft Copilot. Whether you're seeking inspiration or grappling with a challenge while crafting apps, you probably already know that Copilot Cookbook is your reliable assistant, offering a wealth of tips and tricks at your fingertips--and we want you to add your expertise. What can you "cook" up?   Click this link to get started: https://aka.ms/CS_Copilot_Cookbook_Gallery   Don't miss out on this exclusive opportunity to be one of the first in the Community to share your app creation journey with Copilot. We'll be announcing a Cookbook Challenge very soon and want to make sure you one of the first "cooks" in the kitchen.   Don't miss your moment--start submitting in the Copilot Cookbook Gallery today!     Thank you,  Engagement Team

Announcing Power Apps Copilot Cookbook Gallery

We are excited to share that the all-new Copilot Cookbook Gallery for Power Apps is now available in the Power Apps Community, full of tips and tricks on how to best use Microsoft Copilot as you develop and create in Power Apps. The new Copilot Cookbook is your go-to resource when you need inspiration--or when you're stuck--and aren't sure how to best partner with Copilot while creating apps.   Whether you're looking for the best prompts or just want to know about responsible AI use, visit Copilot Cookbook for regular updates you can rely on--while also serving up some of your greatest tips and tricks for the Community. Check Out the new Copilot Cookbook for Power Apps today: Copilot Cookbook - Power Platform Community.  We can't wait to see what you "cook" up!    

Welcome to the Power Automate Community

You are now a part of a fast-growing vibrant group of peers and industry experts who are here to network, share knowledge, and even have a little fun.   Now that you are a member, you can enjoy the following resources:   Welcome to the Community   News & Announcements: The is your place to get all the latest news around community events and announcements. This is where we share with the community what is going on and how to participate.  Be sure to subscribe to this board and not miss an announcement.   Get Help with Power Automate Forums: If you're looking for support with any part of Power Automate, our forums are the place to go. From General Power Automate forums to Using Connectors, Building Flows and Using Flows.  You will find thousands of technical professionals, and Super Users with years of experience who are ready and eager to answer your questions. You now have the ability to post, reply and give "kudos" on the Power Automate community forums. Make sure you conduct a quick search before creating a new post because your question may have already been asked and answered. Galleries: The galleries are full of content and can assist you with information on creating a flow in our Webinars and Video Gallery, and the ability to share the flows you have created in the Power Automate Cookbook.  Stay connected with the Community Connections & How-To Videos from the Microsoft Community Team. Check out the awesome content being shared there today.   Power Automate Community Blog: Over the years, more than 700 Power Automate Community Blog articles have been written and published by our thriving community. Our community members have learned some excellent tips and have keen insights on the future of process automation. In the Power Automate Community Blog, you can read the latest Power Automate-related posts from our community blog authors around the world. Let us know if you'd like to become an author and contribute your own writing — everything Power Automate-related is welcome.   Community Support: Check out and learn more about Using the Community for tips & tricks. Let us know in the Community Feedback  board if you have any questions or comments about your community experience. Again, we are so excited to welcome you to the Microsoft Power Automate community family. Whether you are brand new to the world of process automation or you are a seasoned Power Automate veteran - our goal is to shape the community to be your 'go to' for support, networking, education, inspiration and encouragement as we enjoy this adventure together.     Power Automate Community Team

Hear what's next for the Power Up Program

Hear from Principal Program Manager, Dimpi Gandhi, to discover the latest enhancements to the Microsoft #PowerUpProgram, including a new accelerated video-based curriculum crafted with the expertise of Microsoft MVPs, Rory Neary and Charlie Phipps-Bennett. If you’d like to hear what’s coming next, click the link below to sign up today! https://aka.ms/PowerUp  

Tuesday Tip | How to Report Spam in Our Community

It's time for another TUESDAY TIPS, your weekly connection with the most insightful tips and tricks that empower both newcomers and veterans in the Power Platform Community! Every Tuesday, we bring you a curated selection of the finest advice, distilled from the resources and tools in the Community. Whether you’re a seasoned member or just getting started, Tuesday Tips are the perfect compass guiding you across the dynamic landscape of the Power Platform Community.   As our community family expands each week, we revisit our essential tools, tips, and tricks to ensure you’re well-versed in the community’s pulse. Keep an eye on the News & Announcements for your weekly Tuesday Tips—you never know what you may learn!   Today's Tip: How to Report Spam in Our Community We strive to maintain a professional and helpful community, and part of that effort involves keeping our platform free of spam. If you encounter a post that you believe is spam, please follow these steps to report it: Locate the Post: Find the post in question within the community.Kebab Menu: Click on the "Kebab" menu | 3 Dots, on the top right of the post.Report Inappropriate Content: Select "Report Inappropriate Content" from the menu.Submit Report: Fill out any necessary details on the form and submit your report.   Our community team will review the report and take appropriate action to ensure our community remains a valuable resource for everyone.   Thank you for helping us keep the community clean and useful!

Users online (3,306)