cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FinderFees
Frequent Visitor

HTTP action returns 18 character integer that is automatically rounded in output

I think it's somewhat common knowledge in the community that Power Automate doesn't handle long integers well. It awkwardly rounds any integer longer than 16 characters and completely breaks at 20+ characters.

My problem is that I am using the standard built-in HTTP action, and doing a GET request where I should receive a response like the following:

[

{

"id": 123456789012345678,

"name": "John Smith"

}

But the response in my raw HTTP output (before the Parse JSON action) is:

[

{

"id": 123456789012345670,

"name": "John Smith"

}

(If it's not immediately obvious, the last digit is changed from 8 to 0.)

Power Automate is rounding my integer before I even get a chance to tell it to handle it as an string, producing a completely wrong ID for this user.

This is an API that is provided by a 3rd party company, so I can't change the API to provide a string instead.

By chance, does anyone have a suggestion for what I could do here to get this to come through correctly? I'm a little baffled that even the raw output suffers from the same integer issue instead of truly being raw.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
FinderFees
Frequent Visitor

Perhaps I just finally had to give up and ask for help, but after troubleshooting this for most of the afternoon I discovered that this appears to just be a superficial issue with the display and not with the actual data that is stored.

To attempt to explain, here is my HTTP action output where the value is not what I expected to see:

FinderFees_4-1667603038168.png

It also appeared this way when viewing it by clicking the "Show raw outputs" arrow. So I had no way of knowing that it would be any different...

Even when I parsed it (I used {"type": "number"} here for this test case), it still appeared as though it was going to be an issue:

FinderFees_5-1667603088373.png

Then to my surprise, when I dropped it into a variable...

FinderFees_6-1667603126954.png

It actually captured the correct value:

FinderFees_7-1667603148601.png

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
FinderFees
Frequent Visitor

Perhaps I just finally had to give up and ask for help, but after troubleshooting this for most of the afternoon I discovered that this appears to just be a superficial issue with the display and not with the actual data that is stored.

To attempt to explain, here is my HTTP action output where the value is not what I expected to see:

FinderFees_4-1667603038168.png

It also appeared this way when viewing it by clicking the "Show raw outputs" arrow. So I had no way of knowing that it would be any different...

Even when I parsed it (I used {"type": "number"} here for this test case), it still appeared as though it was going to be an issue:

FinderFees_5-1667603088373.png

Then to my surprise, when I dropped it into a variable...

FinderFees_6-1667603126954.png

It actually captured the correct value:

FinderFees_7-1667603148601.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Automate News & Announcements

Power Automate News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Automate community.

Community Calls Conversations

Community Calls Conversations

A great place where you can stay up to date with community calls and interact with the speakers.

Power Automate Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Users online (1,338)