cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FarisD
Regular Visitor

Help in : Flow to update Excel cell after getting an approval when a form is submitted

Hi there,

I have looked for a flow to fix this but I was getting nowhere. Any help is appreciated 😀.

I am creating a flow for this scenario:

• Once a form is submitted 
  • Based on a project selection
  • Approval initiated to a specific person related to the project
  • Once approval is given by the designated person
  • I want a specific cell in the live excel sheet - (from forms) - to be updated with ''Approver's name''. 

I understand that the key value is the identifier which tells the flow what to update, I thought of having it as the unique identifier for the form. 

I want the flow to pick up the new entry (from the form) and update the cell in the column I created '' Approved by '' with the ''Name of Approver'' when they approve the request. 

I know I am missing something or doing something wrong.

The flow runs perfectly and initiates an approval, I am stuck at the last step of updating the required cell after approval is given.

The column created '' Approved By '' is empty all along and doesn't have any value

Please see the photos:

Thank you 🙂

I have seen @rjones2022 @MarvinBangert responding to something similar but not this scenario I wonder if you can help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @FarisD ,

Have you solved this question?

Actually you can update the row using that unique ID value without getting that row. See in the document:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/connectors/excelonlinebusiness/#update-a-row

The input value will overwrite the specified cells and columns left blank will not be updated.

Since you have the ID value in form response, the simplified process will be as follows:

vjefferni_0-1660715676683.jpeg

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Jeffer Ni

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Slowpoke
Resolver II
Resolver II

Is it necessary for you to use an Excel File ? Could you use a sharepoint list instead?

I generally encounter much less issues when using SP instead of Excel

FarisD
Regular Visitor

Thank you for your prompt reply 🙂

I need it as an Excel document because it will work as a master spreadsheet for a department. 

The excel document is already generated from MS Forms so it's intuitive as well and populated properly. 

Slowpoke
Resolver II
Resolver II

Ok, is it normal that your key value for the excel "update a row" is empty?

And, if you look at your flow historic, is the "approver name" a null value or not?

FarisD
Regular Visitor

I have changed the key value for both '' Get a row, Update a row '' to the unique identifier for the form submission.

The same issue,

For the Approver name. 

I thought that the name is automatically picked up if the designated person responds and approves the request.

Even if I want to go about it differently.

I have put the '' Response '' value to populate in the tcolumnomn '' Approved by ''. 

Still nothing,

4.JPG5.JPG

Something is not working in this cycle > when an approval is given >> updating the excel sheet cell.

Its not populating the cell  😞

FarisD
Regular Visitor

Ok more updates I reworked the flow and tested it manually and it shows this:

The last step is failing 

update1.JPG

Slowpoke
Resolver II
Resolver II

Can you send a screenshot of "Condition 4"?

FarisD
Regular Visitor

Actually what I have done is to change the approval request from parallel branches to start if the value doesn't match 

maybe.JPG

Still testing 🙂 

Hi @FarisD ,

Have you solved this question?

Actually you can update the row using that unique ID value without getting that row. See in the document:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/connectors/excelonlinebusiness/#update-a-row

The input value will overwrite the specified cells and columns left blank will not be updated.

Since you have the ID value in form response, the simplified process will be as follows:

vjefferni_0-1660715676683.jpeg

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Jeffer Ni

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Difinity Conference 2022

Difinity Conference 2022

Register today for two amazing days of learning, featuring intensive learning sessions across multiple tracks, led by engaging and dynamic experts.

European SharePoint Conference

European SharePoint Conference

The European SharePoint Conference returns live and in-person November 28-December 1 with 4 Microsoft Keynotes, 9 Tutorials, and 120 Sessions.

Users online (3,234)