Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chris110
Helper I
Helper I

Help with HTML table formatting - 2 columns

Hi everyone

I created a Power App where people can go in and create a "support" ticket. When the user clicks Submit, the data they entered is Patched to SharePoint. They can go back to their ticket and edit / update at any time.

The next step in this process is to automate the workflow. As part of this automation, we'd like to send the user an email in a nicely formatted table after they press Submit and the ticket gets created (e.g. "Here's a summary of your ticket"). A separate email is sent when the status of the ticket changes (e.g. "There's been an update to your ticket. Here's the summary:"). Thus far, we were able to build the Conditions for which email should be sent based on the Status of the ticket and other criteria. The problem we're running into is with the format of the email.

We would like to have the data formatted in a 2 column, multi-row table. The first column should be static with column names / attributes (e.g. Requestor Name, Ticket Category,  Ticket Status, Description, Response, Open Date, Close Date, etc. etc.) and in the second column should have the actual data that was entered in the App (and Patched to SharePoint).

I've spent A LOT of time researching and can only find videos / help guides addressing how to put the data into 2 rows (row 1 = the attributes; row 2 = data the user entered) and multiple columns. We're looking for the exact opposite - multiple rows and 2 columns (column 1 = attributes; column 2 = data the user entered)

Thus far, I have "When an item is created or modified" --> Get Item (ID as Id) --> Create an HTML Table (also using ID as From) --> Compose (inputs are the Output from Create HTML table)...and it's not working at all...in fact it completely fails!

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DamoBird365
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @Chris110 

Assuming the number of rows doesn't change, just build the HTML as follows:

<style>
table, th, td {
border: 1px solid black;
}
</style>

<table>
<tr>
<td>Employee</td>
<td>@{outputs('Get_item')?['body/Employee']}</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Expense Description</td>
<td>@{outputs('Get_item')?['body/ExpenseDesc']}</td>
</tr>
</table>

DamoBird365_2-1648584795985.png

Basic output:

DamoBird365_1-1648584766718.png

Please consider accepting my answer as a solution if it helps to solve your problem.

Cheers
Damien

Please take a look and subscribe to my YouTube Channel for more Power Platform ideas and concepts, or take a look at my website. Thanks

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
DamoBird365
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @Chris110 

Assuming the number of rows doesn't change, just build the HTML as follows:

<style>
table, th, td {
border: 1px solid black;
}
</style>

<table>
<tr>
<td>Employee</td>
<td>@{outputs('Get_item')?['body/Employee']}</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Expense Description</td>
<td>@{outputs('Get_item')?['body/ExpenseDesc']}</td>
</tr>
</table>

DamoBird365_2-1648584795985.png

Basic output:

DamoBird365_1-1648584766718.png

Please consider accepting my answer as a solution if it helps to solve your problem.

Cheers
Damien

Please take a look and subscribe to my YouTube Channel for more Power Platform ideas and concepts, or take a look at my website. Thanks

Wow you made that look easy - exactly what I was looking for - thanks very much!!! The tables are dynamic based on the email that's being sent, so I'm going to setup the Compose action right before each email type.

I'm going to mark that answer as the solution, but I do have a follow-up question now that I've seen this in action...

If I wanted to get a little more fancy with the table (e.g. color every other row, bold the attributes, make the columns a certain width, etc.) - could you point me in the right direction of a good resource for these types of HTML codes? There are TONS out there and I'm not sure which one is the best to use. Thanks again!

Hi @Chris110 

w3schools 100% they have loads of resource.

Good luck!

Damien

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Difinity Conference 2022

Difinity Conference 2022

Register today for two amazing days of learning, featuring intensive learning sessions across multiple tracks, led by engaging and dynamic experts.

European SharePoint Conference

European SharePoint Conference

The European SharePoint Conference returns live and in-person November 28-December 1 with 4 Microsoft Keynotes, 9 Tutorials, and 120 Sessions.

Users online (3,031)