cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Help with a Flow from Forms

Hello all! I have been struggling with this flow . It seems like it should be so straightforward but I just CANNOT get it to work.

I am using an MS Form to populate a Word document template. I have all the fields mapped, etc. yet no matter what, the flow will NOT trigger. So it's supposed to run each time there is a new response, and when I go to test it, it always times out that the "trigger action was not performed" all the while, I was filling out the form and submitted it, without issues. I will share my Flow here.

Can someone please help with this?

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted

Re: Help with a Flow from Forms

First part of Flow: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1G2FM3qMVxW72RDJ3vA125kXj_NnCzND-/view?usp=sharing

Second part: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1G2FM3qMVxW72RDJ3vA125kXj_NnCzND-/view?usp=sharing

I omitted the long picture of all the templated elements in my Word doc.

Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi,

The trigger looks fine. When you set the flow to test and try and do the trigger will it run? If it doesnt I would probably create a ticket on this with Microsoft Support. Everything looks to be fine from what I can see. I'll include a link below if you would like to go down that route. Otherwise if any other communities members might know feel free to chime in.

If you would like to create a ticket with Microsoft Customer Support here is a link on how to do so: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/get-help-support

Regards,

Alex

-------

Community Support Team _ Alex Rezac
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@vhutchins 

I suggest rebuilding the Flow from scratch.  I don't see any reason why it won't fire - rebuilding may be your best next step.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott
Highlighted

go to Re: Help with a Flow from Forms

@alrez

Hello! So when I test the trigger (so I go to Test, and then go to Fill out the Form and submit), it keeps spinning and then tells me that  "Flow run timed out because the starting action was not performed. Please try again."

This is my first flow so it is quite possible I am missing something obvious. Am I testing it the right way? Is there some sort of trigger or setting I could be missing?

Thank you!

Violette

Highlighted

@ScottShearer

I have - like 3-4 times. 😟 It is my first flow so I could be missing something obvious?

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@vhutchins 

I can't tell from your screen shots - is your Forms trigger the first action or trigger in your Flow?  Do you have another trigger before it?

Scott
Highlighted

@ScottShearer - It is the first step in the Flow.

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@vhutchins 

As a test, can you try creating a new Form with just one question.  The create a very simple Flow using the Forms trigger and see if it runs when a new Form is submitted.

Scott
Highlighted

@ScottShearer So I just did that and it worked! Here's the confirmation:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1F97uiihc3b2i7HXOmAT-IZmr6tbl60X4/view?usp=sharing

Could it possibly be that I'm nesting the Get Response Details? I'm even more confused now.

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@vhutchins 

What you do below the trigger has no impact on whether or not the Flow fires assuming that you can save the Flow with no errors.

I have two suggestions.  First, make sure the Flow is turned on and create a new Forms response.  See if the Flow fires.  

If the Flow does not fire within 5 to 10 minutes, my assumption is that there is some issue with the Form.  Therefore, my suggestion is to rebuild the Form.

Scott
Highlighted

@ScottShearer 

The flow is indeed saving without errors, but unfortunately, I cannot recreate the form. It was specifically designed by a senior team. It does have 3 pages, so maybe the Flow doesn't like that?

Is there any way we could leverage the Excel spreadsheet export from Forms to automatically pull in templated fields from excel? It looks like that Excel file is just a manual export and would likely need to be pulled down and used in the flow every time - which is definitely cumbersome.

Helpful resources

Announcements
FirstImage

Microsoft Ignite 2020

Check out the announcement of Power Platform content at Microsoft Ignite!

thirdImage

Experience what's new for Power Automate

Join us for an in-depth look at the new Power Automate features and capabilities at the free Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

firstImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (8,414)