cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
LydiaH
Level: Power Up

Help with a Flow that sends notification 1 week away from task due date in Planner

Hello,

I'm trying to set up a Flow which identifies incomplete tasks in Planner, then sends an email notification to the person the task is assigned to 1 week ahead of it being due. It is intended to remind us that key project milestones are approaching.

Below is what I have so far. I have no idea whether or not it's right, and I can't work out how to express 'week from due date'.

I'd be really grateful for any help on this. Then I just have to workout how to integrate it with Teams...

Thanks,

Lydia

Flows capture.JPG

3 REPLIES 3
JoshL
Level: Powered On

Re: Help with a Flow that sends notification 1 week away from task due date in Planner

Hi @LydiaH

First thing first is that your flow will only trigger when a task is assigned to whomever set-up the connection between flow and planner. You're better off having a recurring trigger like every day or week and pulling in a list of tasks.Then you'll need to loop over each task to check it's due date and progress. Your progress and due date checks are in the right places but this is how to check if a task deadline is a week ahead:

(This assumes that you're already inside of a loop, looping over tasks)

@less(items('YOUR LOOP NAME')?['dueDateTime'], addDays(utcNow(),7))

I haven't tested this but it should work. You will also want to make sure that the due date isn't null before trying to use it as planner allows it to be. If you don't check your flow could fail. This is what we're currently using:

3.JPG

Once you've filtered to tasks that are due within 7 days you can then extract the data for that task for processing. To extract assignments see my posts here:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/access-to-assignee-parameter-in-planner-Tasks/idc-p/1...

I hope that helps!

LydiaH
Level: Power Up

Re: Help with a Flow that sends notification 1 week away from task due date in Planner

Hello @JoshL

Thanks for this! I'm actually much more of a beginner - I'm not sure how to up a 'recurring trigger'. let alone 'extract assingments'. I may have to abandon this idea - I really wish Teams had something simple like alerts within Planner that we could use instead!

Thanks,

Lydia

JoshL
Level: Powered On

You're very welcome @LydiaH.

Recurring trigger is located under trigger, schedule like this:

1.JPG

Then to set it up to run every day at 15:00 you'd do this:

2.JPG

The link I posted in my answer will give you a pretty good idea how to get the user information who has a the specific task assigned to them. The more you play around with Flow and make mistakes the more you'll be comfortable with it and if you have any questions just ask them here and the community will be glad to help. If you want more in-depth support on how to achieve what you want go ahead and drop me a personal message and I'll give you a hand. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

thirdImage

New Flow Community Board!

Check out the new Microsoft Flow Community Blog Topic Suggestion board!

fourthImage

Australia Summit

Travel to Melbourne and network with thousands of peers!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 17 members 4,273 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: