cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Traveling_Neko
Regular Visitor

Help with creating a Flow with a OneDrive Shared Folder and Notifications

A team member has shared a folder with our department that she created on her OneDrive for Business profile.

I'd like to receive notifications (mainly Outlook email or an alert when I'm in my OneDrive) when a new file is added or created to this Shared Folder, to which I have full access and rights to.

When I'm in the folder itself, the Flow option is not available. When I go into Flow and attempt to build for automation, the weblink address for the Shared Folder doesn't work during a test run. I get an error (Status Code 400) and "Bad Request".

Does this mean one cannot create a Flow for a Shared Folder that they do not own despite having full access to it?

And if this type of Flow doesn't exist, would the work around be that the person who adds a file must manually "Share" it out to everyone in order to indiciate there is a new file waiting? Thanks!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
v-yamao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Traveling_Neko ,

Currently, only folders that under “Files” on OneDrive for Business are available in Microsoft Flow, but not folders/files listed under “Shared”.

Here is one of the similar requests on Flow Ideas forum, please vote and comment the idea at here:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/OneDrive-list-files-in-shared-with-me-folders/idi-p/2...

Further, if you want to get an email notification, you could ask the member to create a flow from her side for this folder. In the Send an email action, input your email address in the To field, so that whenever a file is added to this folder, an email will be send to you.

1.PNG

Best regards,

Mabel

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Hi @Traveling_Neko ,

Thanks for updating.

Folder Path is not a clickable link, while you could use action Create share link or Create share link by path to create a link then send it via email.

1.PNG

Best regards,

Mabel

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

6 REPLIES 6
v-yamao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Traveling_Neko ,

Currently, only folders that under “Files” on OneDrive for Business are available in Microsoft Flow, but not folders/files listed under “Shared”.

Here is one of the similar requests on Flow Ideas forum, please vote and comment the idea at here:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/OneDrive-list-files-in-shared-with-me-folders/idi-p/2...

Further, if you want to get an email notification, you could ask the member to create a flow from her side for this folder. In the Send an email action, input your email address in the To field, so that whenever a file is added to this folder, an email will be send to you.

1.PNG

Best regards,

Mabel

Thank you for the information, @v-yamao-msft . I have voted on the Flow Ideas forum for the request that matches mine. I will also try your recommendation to ask the Owner of the Shared Folder to set up a Flow trigger to send an email to others.

Quick question: how does one get a direct link added to the email/notification? In my tests with a Shared Folder that I own, I cannot seem to get a direct link added. I can add the "File pathway" but it is not a clickable link.

Thanks!

Hi @Traveling_Neko ,

Thanks for updating.

Folder Path is not a clickable link, while you could use action Create share link or Create share link by path to create a link then send it via email.

1.PNG

Best regards,

Mabel

kg27

I have found a workaround. You can make the flow yourself and then share ownership with the person who owns the folders or files in the OneDrive you are trying to connect to. That person then has to go in, remove your connections (wherever applicable), and add their own connections. From there you can go in to edit the flow and their OneDrive folders will appear for you to choose.

jRufus

Instead of monitoring a OneDrive shared folder that other uses can access, you could monitor a SharePoint document library that other users can access.

SharePoint connector works perfect in this way.

Hope this helps

Thanks @kg27 . I have the login/password of the other account, so I just needed to add a new connection with the owner's account

This worked for me... In My Connections, I added the real owner(not shared) and got it working

nandan_0-1632048979289.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (1,529)