cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SharePoint21

Help with moving InfoPath XML file from one SharePoint List to another

Hi

I'd appreciate advice from anyone here.

I have an InfoPath form library (still!) where I have needed to move some of the xml files to another SharePoint forms library. Until now I have been doing this through File Explorer. I only need to move the actual xml file as I have the InfoPath form template published to the list I am moving the file to, so the metadata is added when i move the xml file across. You can obviously only do this in Internet Explorer using classic SharePoint but with Edge now becoming our preferred browser I need to change this list to a modern 'new' list (which i can do) and move these files in a different way.

In 'new' SharePoint I see that you can move a single document from one document library to another document library quite easily but it doesn't give you the same option to move something in a list.

I have been looking a writing a Flow to do this for me. I'm not sure whether I use something similar to this post:

Solved: Flow to move a selected document in SharePoint - Power Platform Community (microsoft.com) or whether I create a Flow that moves a list item. I don't seem to be able to find any examples for InfoPath form libraries.

2 REPLIES 2
PatrickMSFT
Community Support
Community Support

SharePoint21,

The link you referenced is a bit older but this should work, this should still be a library to library move in the eyes of Power Automate.

Some additional references/approaches:
https://spknowledge.com/2020/09/20/power-automate-how-to-auto-copy-or-move-files-in-sharepoint-libra... 
https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Flows/Automate-moving-files-in-Sharepoint/td-p/322835 
https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Flows/When-File-is-created-move-to-folder-based-on-file... 

You note in your breakdown that you're working with a Custom List, can you get into that more? Even with the modern experience, you shouldn't need to involve a list; unless you have some business need to involve it. That said, you can get/create/delete/update items on lists with the out-of-box SharePoint connectors.

Do you have a Flow you're already working on we can take a look at?

SharePoint21

Thanks PatrickMSFT. I don't have a Flow that I've started but I will see if I can get this to work by using the first link you supplied.

Its a list library as it was created 12 years ago as an InfoPath form library. The InfoPath form is published to the library so the users open this as an interface to create and amend records. The data in the form is saved to the SharePoint columns. We will be replacing the use of InfoPath at some point, but for now I'm stuck with it!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

Power Automate Designer Feedback_carousel.jpg

Help make Flow Design easier

Are you new to designing flows? What is your biggest struggle with Power Automate Designer? Help us make it more user friendly!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,613)