cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

How can I change flow trigger without losing the following actions

I have created a long flow, now I realize I have chosen the wrong trigger, if I delete the current trigger, I may lose the following actions in the flow. How can change the trigger type without losing following steps?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jeanwang ,

If the following action uses the output of the trigger body, then when you delete the trigger, the configured content will be removed.

You could consider using a workaround that you can create a copy of Flow. Whenever I need to change the complex configuration of a Flow, I often click Save as to create a copy of the Flow first, which will help restore the configuration of the previous version.

https://flow.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/make-a-copy/

Please take a try.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

It depends on which trigger you are using.  If your trigger does not have any outputs used by other actions in your flow, you can simply right click, choose delete and remove the old trigger and then choose your new trigger.

If the trigger contains outputs that are being referenced later in your flow, you'll have to remove the references to those outputs in the later actions before you can remove and replace the trigger.  

LRVinNC

------------------
Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jeanwang ,

If the following action uses the output of the trigger body, then when you delete the trigger, the configured content will be removed.

You could consider using a workaround that you can create a copy of Flow. Whenever I need to change the complex configuration of a Flow, I often click Save as to create a copy of the Flow first, which will help restore the configuration of the previous version.

https://flow.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/make-a-copy/

Please take a try.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

I had a similar issue , I created a flow with trigger "Cognitoforms - When a new entry is created" 
but I also wanted to use the same flow for the trigger "Cognitoforms - When a new entry is updated" 

So I created a copy of my first flow deleted the trigger action and changed it to the trigger "Cognitoforms - When a new entry is updated" and saved this copy.
Opened this copy and used export > Package (.zip) to export it to my computer as a zip with json files.

Then I created another copy of my first flow also exported this as a Package (.zip) with json files.

Then I unzipped both of the zip files and opened the following file with notepad++ (or another editor) : Microsoft.Flow\flows\123456-a54e-46azr2-969a-be0470611ae4\definition.json file

Then I copied everything between the brackets of "triggers":{ ...... } from the definition.json file of the new trigger ("Cognitoforms - When a new entry is updated" ) to "triggers":{......} in the other file  zipped the files again of the folder with the replaced triggers content and imported that zip back into flows .

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (9,693)