cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
EastCoastSurfer
Level: Powered On

How can I filter out items in a reminder.

I am using the out of box 1-day reminder. For requests, I have 4 possible status selections (Request Submitted, In Process, Review, and Complete). I would like to edit the reminder to filter out requests that are set to a "Complete' status.  When the reminder runs every morning I only want the email to show results that exclude requests with a 'Complete' status.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: How can I filter out items in a reminder.

@EastCoastSurfer :

In my example, my status column is called status.  To filter out items where Status is equal to Complete, edit the filter query on the Get Items action inside of your scope to look like this:

EditReminder.jpg

Don't edit the expression, just add the text I have supplied after the expression. 

Obviously, you'll need to substitute the name of your status column.  Also, if you get an error, check the internal name of your status column and use it - Get Items OData filters usually use the internal column names.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott
9 REPLIES 9
Super User
Super User

After the recurrence trigger you can add a SharePoint get items actions and in the advanced options add a filter query of Status ne 'Closed' (or in your case status ne 'Complete'). The ne stands for not equal to and using a filter query is more efficient in terms of processing time than using a Condition control.

Rob

Los Gallardos

statusneClosed.pngStatus ne 'Closed'

EastCoastSurfer

Thank you for taking the time to help. I really appreciate it!

This does not work for me. I have tried so many ways. Unfortunately, I am new to Flow and trying to learn on my own.

The column I am trying to filter is labeled 'Completion Status'. The out of box reminder uses the Get Item action in the Scope where the filter query runs this expression:

concat(concat('Date_x0020_Due',' ge ', '''',outputs('Today_+_x_days')),'''',' and ', concat('Date_x0020_Due',' lt ','''', outputs('x_Days_+_1'),''''))

Like I stated before I would like to only return results in the reminder email where the Completion Status value does not equal 'Complete' and all the requests that are due in one day or less.

Flow Reminder.JPG
Super User
Super User

@EastCoastSurfer :

In my example, my status column is called status.  To filter out items where Status is equal to Complete, edit the filter query on the Get Items action inside of your scope to look like this:

EditReminder.jpg

Don't edit the expression, just add the text I have supplied after the expression. 

Obviously, you'll need to substitute the name of your status column.  Also, if you get an error, check the internal name of your status column and use it - Get Items OData filters usually use the internal column names.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott
Super User
Super User

Your second post intoduces things you didn't mention in the original post, like the requests due in one day or less and it looks as though you are looking at multiple lists due to the Get list name by HTTP request. I'll have a look unless someone else steps in first with a cunning solution.

Rob
Los Gallardos

EastCoastSurfer

Using the internal column name worked. Thank you very much!!!

EastCoastSurfer

Your question is a good one. Even though I am only looking at 1 list you are correct in that the Flow seems to be looking at 2 lists. I am not sure why SharePoint created the 'HTTP request'. I just thought it was important to be structured this way. As stated before, all I did to create this reminder was to go on the list page and under the Flow drop down (next to Export to Excel) I selected the 'Set a reminder'. Flow created the structure automatically. Then all I did was edit the filter query to get my result. Would you know why Flow created both 'Get list name by HTTP request' and 'Get Items'? Flow Reminder2.JPG

Super User
Super User

No I don't. I have to say that I always prefer to build my flows from blank rather than using one of the templates. It strikes me that the template for your flow is more complicated than it needs to be. I have several similar flows for reminders (2 days ahead and on the day itself) that aren't half as complicated as that one Smiley Happy

Rob
Los Gallardos

EastCoastSurfer

Totally agree! I thought it was overkill. Either way, it works.

Super User
Super User

Yep, that's the main thing. Glad it works.

Rob
Los Gallardos

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

thirdImage

New Flow Community Board!

Check out the new Microsoft Flow Community Blog Topic Suggestion board!

fourthImage

Australia Summit

Travel to Melbourne and network with thousands of peers!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 52 members 4,375 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: