cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ebullin

How can I have the approvals go to different people based on the results of the form?

Is there a way that I can use a form and have an approval sent to different email addresses based on the results from the form? I do not want the approval to go to every person on the 'Assigned' row. Based on the selections from the form certain people would need to approve and I do not want to create a seperate form for each of these groups. Ex. If Account Manager John Smith is selected I would want him to get the approval and the other Account Managers do not need to see the approval. Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10
ScottShearer
Super User
Super User

The "Assigned To" field in the Approval action can be any valid email address within your organization.  You can have logic that determines what email address to use and store the email in a variable.  Then use the variable in the Assigned To field.

You could, for example, store a list of approvers by department in a SharePoint list.  You could then retrieve the appropriate approver (email address is available for person or group columns) from the SharePoint list and use it for the Approval "assigned to" column.

If you need screen shots, please describe your situation further and I will provide an example.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

Thank you for the information and yes if you could please provide screenshots that would be helpful.

Our organization is in retail world and we are able to run certain deals at certain times but need approval from the buyers to run these deals. If we want to run product x for a certain amount we would submit the deal for approval through the form but then would only need that specific buyer to approve the deal without the others seeing. On the form we have a dropdown to choose which buyer needs to approve that specific deal and that is the buyer that should receive the approval email.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Will do a screenshot.  When you say "form" are you referring to a SharePoint list form?  If not what type of form are you referring to?

I want to make my example as on point as possible.

Scott

I am referring to Microsoft Office forms -- https://forms.office.com

If there is a better solution I am all ears.

Here is a screenshot of what I think you want.  You'll need to add actions after the approvals, but this shows the concept of using a response from Forms to assign an approver.

The Form has an option question (Approver) with selections for an approver..

MultApproverForm.png

Scott

Thank you! This is what I needed!

Scott, hello!

What if this list of approvers is very large (about 200 people)? What should I do?

Best wishes,

Igor

Hi Scott
Thank you for your post. However, I am getting this error on Apply to each step. Can you please guide.

'The execution of template action 'Apply_to_each' failed: the result of the evaluation of 'foreach' expression '@triggerBody()?['resourceData']?['responseId']' is of type 'Integer'. The result must be a valid array."

@GauravAgarwal11 

It would be best if you would start a new thread and post a screen shot of your Flow along with the error message.  Please @ mention me in the post and I will respond.

Scott

@ScottShearer  howdy!

I have the same question but mine has 48 different options a user can choose from.  Depending on that answer in the form depends on who to email.  Can this be done for that or would you have another way I could do it?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Users online (4,130)