cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

How can i add a hyperlink in the Approval email? Link back to SharePoint item.

Hi,

I would like to add a working hyperlink (URL) on the approval request email (using Start Approval action)

I have added the URL in the email but when it comes through, it is just a string and not an active link. 

Appreciate any advise i could get.

Thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Raeville,

Do you want to add two hyperlinks (URL) within the approval email sent via "Start an approval" action?

If you want to add two hyperlinks (URL) within the approval email sent via "Start an approval" action, I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in Microsoft Flow currently. If you would like this feature to be added in "Start an approval" action of Microsoft Flow, please submit an idea to Flow Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

In addition, you could consider take a try with the following workaround as an alternative way:

• Add a "When an item is created" trigger.
  • Add a "Get attachments" action, specify Site Address and List Name. Id field set to ID dynamic content of the trigger.
  • Add a "Create HTML table" action, From set to output of "Get attachments" action, Include headers set to Yes and Columns set to Custom. Within Columns entry, entry one entry, Header box set to AttachmentURL and Value box set to AbsoluteUri dynamic content of "Get attachments" action.
  • Add a "Send email with options" action, User Options set to following formula:
Approve, Reject

Body field set to Link to item dynamic content and Output of "Create HTML table" action.

Image reference:6.JPG

7.JPG

The flow works successfully as below:9.JPG

8.JPG

Click "Show original message" button within approval email, the original approval email shows up as below:10.JPG

Two hyperlinks (URLs) show up as above.

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe the only way to do this is to use the built-in link and link description fields. The "details" field doesn't support html.

link in flow.pngScreenshot_20180303-092606.png

Highlighted

Thanks @Anonymous 

But what if i have more than 2 links to add to the email? 

1. Link to the item

2. Link to the attachment or a document somewhere else?

thanks again. 

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Raeville,

Do you want to add two hyperlinks (URL) within the approval email sent via "Start an approval" action?

If you want to add two hyperlinks (URL) within the approval email sent via "Start an approval" action, I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in Microsoft Flow currently. If you would like this feature to be added in "Start an approval" action of Microsoft Flow, please submit an idea to Flow Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

In addition, you could consider take a try with the following workaround as an alternative way:

• Add a "When an item is created" trigger.
  • Add a "Get attachments" action, specify Site Address and List Name. Id field set to ID dynamic content of the trigger.
  • Add a "Create HTML table" action, From set to output of "Get attachments" action, Include headers set to Yes and Columns set to Custom. Within Columns entry, entry one entry, Header box set to AttachmentURL and Value box set to AbsoluteUri dynamic content of "Get attachments" action.
  • Add a "Send email with options" action, User Options set to following formula:
Approve, Reject

Body field set to Link to item dynamic content and Output of "Create HTML table" action.

Image reference:6.JPG

7.JPG

The flow works successfully as below:9.JPG

8.JPG

Click "Show original message" button within approval email, the original approval email shows up as below:10.JPG

Two hyperlinks (URLs) show up as above.

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Another way to add more links into the approval email (i.e. the message that comes out of the Start an Approval action is to use the markdown formatting i.e. [Link Text](Link URL) then you can add as many links as you like.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/flow/approvals-markdown-support

Highlighted

Best solution. Thanks!

Highlighted

Create dynamic link using the item Link object. 

concat('https://apps.powerapps.com/play/[Screen ID]?tenantId=[Tenant ID]?ItemId=',body('Update_item_initialize_default_action_columns_')?['ID'])

approvalLinktoitem.JPG

Highlighted

I got this done by applying an alternative.

1. Captured the link text into a variable string, using Get attachements, initialising variable and appending to string variable.

2. Then used that variable in Item Link attribute of the approval function.

Highlighted

Hi, 

If you would like to put multiple links in an Approval you will need:  Get Attachments Content connector. 

From here:

1. Initialize String Variable - call it whatever  varApprovalLinks
  2. Add 'Apply to Each' connector - connect it to Body
  3. Append String Variable as Follows: 
    • Type:  [
    • In dynamic content choose the link name - DisplayName
    • Type: ](
    • Use the expression:  join(split(item()?['AbsoluteUri'],' '),'%20')
    • Type:  )

Your final piece in Append Variable should look like this: [DisplayName](Join(...))Approval Function.JPGCreating Variable.JPG

From here you could get fancy and put each link on it's own line; number them / whatever. 

Thanks

CM

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,611)