cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

How can i use flow to separate/split out text from a open text field in Forms and add to different columns in SharePoint Online/Excel?

Hi, Hoping to get some help on my case here 🙂 

I have a forms where i have a open text field - the users will use this one text field to write comments on three different topics (do not want to divide them into several questions because the topics might change). I want Powerautomate to automatically differentiate the text in this textfield based on a sign like : or starting with (...) and then creating cells in different columns (one column per topic) in a sharepoint online list or in excel. Any advice/help on how to set this up? 

I have also looked at the text to columns in excel - but i dont know how you could do that action automatically. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@Anonymous , please configure your flow as follows:

1.  Initialize variable of type string and assign it value from your form, here just for example I have assigned it a static value

annajhaveri_0-1609169937623.png

2. Add compose action and copy following expression from dynamic content -> expressions and click on ok button

split(variables('text'),':')

annajhaveri_1-1609169997171.png

3. Then add apply to each action and configure it as shown in below screenshot

annajhaveri_2-1609170058835.png

Regards,
Anna Jhaveri

If I have answered your question, please mark the post as Solved to help other users to identify the correct answer
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
annajhaveri
Community Champion
Community Champion

You can use the split function to split as per the sign reference: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/logic-apps/workflow-definition-language-functions-reference#s...

Let me know if you need further inputs on this

Regards,
Anna Jhaveri

If I have answered your question, please mark the post as Solved to help other users to identify the correct answer
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply Annajhaveri, maybe i should have mentioned i am quite new to this - so i wouldnt know how to even put this function into my flow - like what "boxes" do i have to use (compose etc.). I have tried to google, but i am not finding the right resources. any idea of how i design it in powerautomate with this split option?

@Anonymous , please configure your flow as follows:

1.  Initialize variable of type string and assign it value from your form, here just for example I have assigned it a static value

annajhaveri_0-1609169937623.png

2. Add compose action and copy following expression from dynamic content -> expressions and click on ok button

split(variables('text'),':')

annajhaveri_1-1609169997171.png

3. Then add apply to each action and configure it as shown in below screenshot

annajhaveri_2-1609170058835.png

Regards,
Anna Jhaveri

Hello, I know this is an old post but i am hopeful you will reply, I am having the same issue and have followed the steps you laid out but I feel like the last step is missing, I have initialized a variable as a string the value being the form response that needs to be split into multiple columns, done the compose step where I split the variables based on my chosen delimiter, and created an apply to each based on your steps, but how then do I take what I have split up and input it into separate columns of an excel table?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Automate News & Announcements

Power Automate News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Automate community.

Power Automate Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Users online (4,270)