cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tre4B
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

How can you enter a Newline into a string?

I'm trying to update a description field in a string.  I want to add a newline between each update, I just cannot figure out how.

I've tried the normals like \n \\n etc. and I've looked for Expression functions like Newline, char.

How can I do this?

32 REPLIES 32
chandu_siddi
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

You can use html tags for newline i.e <br> tags might help you

If your issue is resolved please accept this as solution

thanks

Hello,

Yes, to format the email, use the html tags and <br> will help in new line character. Make sure in the advanced setting of email,     "is HTML" is set to 'yes'

Thanks and Regards,

Bharat

GrandMaZzZBOY
Frequent Visitor

Came across something really simple. What you do is put your mouse cursor into that value field, press Enter on the keyboard so it adds the line/carriage return. That is it. Verify using PeekCode view, you should see character return value.
DBean
Frequent Visitor

@jvdlinden  I tried this method, and it doesn't work for me - I'm still not getting carriage returns.  Any suggestions?

DBean_0-1597431085690.png

DBean_1-1597431098538.png

DBean_2-1597431111309.png

DBean_3-1597431321621.png

Looks to me like you might be getting a carriage return in your final results (after "Comments" and before "Link to request").

Make sure your email is not set to HTML.

Did you mean to put a LineFeed after each "Response?"

DBean
Frequent Visitor

@PepPower Yes, my apologies - I left that detail out.  I'm appending the name, decision, and decision notes to the variable at the end of each of four parallel approval threads, then displaying the contents of the variable in the decision email.  I've included the line feed variable at the end of each of the Append actions, so there should be a carriage return after each Notes field.

I looked in the email settings, and I don't see any mention of HTML.  There is a Code View button in the editor - is that what you're referring to?

@PepPower I know I am late to the party, but thank you for your steps.

I was stuck trying to figure out how to add a hard return.  The connection I was trying to send information to would not take the HTML <br/> or any other formatting options.

Creating an empty variable with a return as the initial value allowed me to separate my text and appear properly.  Many thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Initialize a new variable and set the value as <br>

Use this variable in the value of "Append to string variable"

this will break the dynamic values in the string. Cheers.

adding <br> to variable setting did it. Thank you! I could not find how to check the html box for sending the email, but I didn't need to do it.

axis0401

Create Compose1 action and type inside i.e. :
[ 1, 2, 3, 4 ]
to create an array.

Create second Compose2 and inside just press enter and save (Compose2 has now two empty lines )

Now join/concatenate array in Compose1 with Compose2.

Create third Compose3 and type in expression:
join(outputs('Compose1'), outputs('Compose2'))

Result:

MrBU
Regular Visitor

Hi:

I've just tried that, and it worked just fine.

Here are two screenshots of my flow:

flow01.pngflow02.png

Please let me know if you could make it work too.

Saludos, Miguel.

You're a Genius 😁 Saved me a bunch of work. Used it with "\r\n" to handle CSV and it worked like a charm.

Thanks!

Just use alt+enter

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (2,488)