cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SianBusby
Level: Powered On

How do I complete "Send approval email when a new item is added"

I'm new to flow, I wanted to try using this over standard SharePoint workflows.

The "Send approval email when a new item is added" template is great, however I cannot see a way to complete the circuit.

The email sends on new item creation, the user approves via the email and an approved email is sent to the originator but how do I flag the original item as approved/rejected?

I can't Approve the list item from Flow by updating the in built SharePoint approval status field or by updating a custom Approval choice field (pending, approved, rejected) etc. as choice fields are not supported in "Update list item". 

How are other people using this template? It seems a bit half-baked but I may just be using it incorrectly.

4 REPLIES 4
Super User
Super User

Re: How do I complete "Send approval email when a new item is added"

Hi @SianBusby,

Yes you are correct. Not all the functionalities are available and its lacking documentation. The choice field updates are not yet in SharePoint Flow templates. Hoping this could be added soon from Microsoft Flow Team.

Thanks

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi SianBusby,

How about we just send the approved email if approved, and delete the newly created item if rejected?

We may also add the action under Yes, to update the item with some signal column, which the column type is supported.

32.PNG

And yes, currently there are some column type not supported under Microsoft Flow, but the team are working on this.

Check the blog regarding SharePoint and Flow:

SharePoint and Flow

Regards

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
harriskristanto

Hi Sian, 

I'm also currently doing a project that needs the same requirement(i.e. the ability to flag an item as approved/rejected) as mentioned on your post.

There are two workaround that I use in this situation:

• Simple workaround: Create a new column of type Yes/No checkbox on your list that is called 'Approved?' or something between that line; then on your Flow add an action 'Update item' that will update the Approved choice into Yes if the list item has been approved.

Capture.JPG

•  Workaround using Workflow: We will utilise Workflow to update the choice field (Approved/Pending/Rejected). As a prerequisite,you'll need to have SharePoint Designer installed.
    1. On your list, create a column called 'ApprovalStatusTrigger' of type number, set the default value to '1'
    2. Also create a column 'Approval Status' of type Choice, and give it choice of (Pending/Approved/Rejected), for this example we will associate ApprovalStatusTrigger 1 as Pending, 2 as Approved, 3 as Rejected.
    3. Go to Sharepoint Designer, create a new List Workflow from your list which will update the Approval Status whenever ApprovalStatusTrigger is updated; go to Workflow Settings and set it to run when changes are made to your list item.ApprovalStatusWorkflow.JPGCapture2.JPG
    4. Go to your MS Flow, then add actions below the approval email that will update the 'ApprovalStatusTrigger' field to the corresponding value.ApprovalFlow.JPG

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any question Smiley Happy 

Regards

Harris

Highlighted
harriskristanto

Hi Sian, 

I'm also currently doing a project that needs the same requirement(i.e. the ability to flag an item as approved/rejected) as mentioned on your post.

There are two workaround that I use in this situation:

• Simple workaround: Create a new column of type Yes/No checkbox on your list that is called 'Approved?' or something between that line; then on your Flow add an action 'Update item' that will update the Approved choice into Yes if the list item has been approved.

Capture.JPG

•  Workaround using Workflow: We will utilise Workflow to update the choice field (Approved/Pending/Rejected). As a prerequisite,you'll need to have SharePoint Designer installed.
    1. On your list, create a column called 'ApprovalStatusTrigger' of type number, set the default value to '1'
    2. Also create a column 'Approval Status' of type Choice, and give it choice of (Pending/Approved/Rejected), for this example we will associate ApprovalStatusTrigger 1 as Pending, 2 as Approved, 3 as Rejected.
    3. Go to Sharepoint Designer, create a new List Workflow from your list which will update the Approval Status whenever ApprovalStatusTrigger is updated; go to Workflow Settings and set it to run when changes are made to your list item.ApprovalStatusWorkflow.JPGCapture2.JPG
    4. Go to your MS Flow, then add actions below the approval email that will update the 'ApprovalStatusTrigger' field to the corresponding value.ApprovalFlow.JPG

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any question Smiley Happy 

Regards

Harris

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Better Together Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

Look out for new contribution recognition badges coming SOON!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Community Summit North America

The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (6,898)