cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
arpost
Super User
Super User

How do I include Dataverse lookup records in a new Dataverse record?

I am trying to add a new record to the Dataverse and populate two lookup columns using dynamic content from Dataverse tables. Every time I try to add a new record, I get a "Resource not found for the segment XXXXX" message. My flow is configured as follows:

arpost_0-1628700500852.png

The Get Created Model is a "Get by Row ID" and the "Get Default Forecast Values" is a "List rows" step, so I'm wanting to create a new record for each Forecast Value and link to the Fee Type and the ForecastModel from the previous steps.

 

Anyone have any ideas? About to pull my hair out.

 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
arpost
Super User
Super User

So I figured it out with the help of this blog post (https://linnzawwin.blogspot.com/2019/11/power-automate-how-to-set-lookup-field.html). I saw some similar posts in the Community forum as well but didn't quite make sense of it until I found this article.

 

To summarize, it appears that the current Dataverse connector STILL expects users to input the plural name of the Dataverse field and then enclose the dynamic GUID content block in parens:

arpost_0-1628720083587.png

 

Why? I have no idea... I've heard it was "by design," but this literally took hours for me to figure out, so I hope the Microsoft team will resolve that behavior as it turns the "low-code/no-code" nature of the Power Platform into "low-code/no-code/hope-you-can-stumble-across-a-solution-code"! 😞

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
arpost
Super User
Super User

So I figured it out with the help of this blog post (https://linnzawwin.blogspot.com/2019/11/power-automate-how-to-set-lookup-field.html). I saw some similar posts in the Community forum as well but didn't quite make sense of it until I found this article.

 

To summarize, it appears that the current Dataverse connector STILL expects users to input the plural name of the Dataverse field and then enclose the dynamic GUID content block in parens:

arpost_0-1628720083587.png

 

Why? I have no idea... I've heard it was "by design," but this literally took hours for me to figure out, so I hope the Microsoft team will resolve that behavior as it turns the "low-code/no-code" nature of the Power Platform into "low-code/no-code/hope-you-can-stumble-across-a-solution-code"! 😞

testasdfasfsafa
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

I just wasted a ton of time on this issue. I don't know why Microsoft took something simple (like selecting the GUID) and forcing a user to find the logical name or internal name and make it plural, etc...   This is NOT "workflow for everyone" as Microsoft claims.

@arpost thanks for sharing - you saved me hours - I never would have figured that out.

You’re welcome! Glad it helped.

manishhada1985
Regular Visitor

This plural thing really a problem and it wasted lots of my time. 

testasdfasfsafa
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

This is terrible design...  the previous Dynamics 365 and legacy dataverse doesn't need this kind of complicated input.  Just you put the lookup id and you were done.   Going backwards...  This product is so messy on so many ways, it's frustrating. Please change the leadership team...

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

New Process Advisor Capabilities carousel.png

Read the blog for the latest news

Read the latest about new experiences and capabilities in the Power Automate product blog.

PA Survey Carousel Image.png

We want to hear from you!

If you are a small business ISV/Reseller, share your thoughts with our research team.

AI Builder AMA June 7th carousel (up on May 25th, take down June 8th) (1).png

'Ask Microsoft Anything' about AI Builder!

The AI Builder team invite you to ask questions and provide helpful answers at our next AMA.

Users online (1,514)