cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ahern1987
Level: Powered On

How do you associate an approval flow with a power apps button?

I'm having the hardest time trying to run this approval manually. If i use the Power Apps Button Trigger a workflow approval because users need the ability to continue to add documents / attachments before they submit. The issue lies in trying to get the "itemID" to populate based on the record the user is currently looking at. When I select the submit button i'm prompted to give a text response. Is there a way to make this work with PowerApps vs fighting with it? i've added the connections . Also when attempting to add a flow to power apps it requires you type in a function.... isn't that the point of associating a flow with a power app? Not to have to code or script? THis is very frustrating. When i type in the text that appears at the top of the page after you associate the flow. I get an invalid error. someone help.

3 REPLIES 3
Super User
Super User

Re: How do you associate an approval flow with a power apps button?

Why not create a Submit column with a boolean-based condition, so the Approval process only starts once the Submit column is set to Yes? I have a similar document control submittal flow for design plans, where they are submitted by the designer, then checked by an engineer, then signed off for by management, and this is how we initiatve those Flows.

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @ahern1987 ,

How is your flow created?

To add a flow on a PowerApps button, the flow should be triggered by a PowerApps button. If the flow is configured to ask value from PowerApps, then you need to give corresponding value for each parameter.

So, you need to type in a function when adding the flow to a button in your scenario.

The following doc could be a reference for you:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/using-logic-flows

Best regards,

Mabel

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
alexandria_hern
Level: Powered On

I have something similar to that; however, its not just new documents. Users need the ability to add a set of documents.  They may not have all of their documentation when they initially create the item. The documents need to be submitted together and the workflow should only be started once the user has attached all of the documents, which only that user can determine so it must be done manually by the user. I tried the new or modified trigger so it would at least check the record for the submit condition each time an item was modified. I  think that sent like 3 approvals which was strange. So I am trying to figure out if it occurred due to the multiple attachments to the record or if it was the modified portion of the trigger. Perhaps, there is something that happens in the background each time we "modify" an item. I'm not sure but I'm going to find out.  I have the flow working with just new but i do need something that will atone for the users constant access to the record / ability to add multiple document to one submission

Document sets were supposed to be modernized by Q1 2019, but I haven't seen that yet and not really sure how that will work with flow, but I look forward to it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

thirdImage

New Flow Community Board!

Check out the new Microsoft Flow Community Blog Topic Suggestion board!

fourthImage

Australia Summit

Travel to Melbourne and network with thousands of peers!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 211 members 3,503 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: