cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adove
Level: Powered On

How to add a new item to SharePoint list populating single choice column

I have a Flow connected to a SharePoint 2013 list named Participants. A column in the list named City is a choice field which accepts only single values. I am trying to pass a new entry to the list and populate the City value with "Chicago" which is a valid entry from the drop-down. 

When the Flow runs, it generates an error stating that "A value must be provided".

I then created a variable with the value of "Chicago" and passed the variable into the field. While the Flow didn't balk at this, it however passed no data through to the list column.

When I type a string into the Flow field and try to save, it balks again stating the field must be valid JSON.

How do I pass in a value for a choice column in a SharePoint list?

Thank you,

ADove

8 REPLIES 8
Super User
Super User

Re: How to add a new item to SharePoint list populating single choice column

If you could provide an expanded screenshot of your Flow and steps, and of any detailed error messages you're receiving we could likely better assist you.

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

adove

I have tried a new attempt at a different choice column, but got the same results.

Create_item_Flow_with_choice_column.pngTried another input into the STATUS columnCreate_item_Flow_with_choice_column_error.pngError returned from the STATUS column

Super User
Super User

Make sure that the new City column has been added to the SharePoint List's default list view. Please see the Edit a list view in SharePoint Online documentation for steps on how to update your list view.

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

adove

Sorry I didn't clarify before, but I am work with on-prem SharePoint 2013.

Super User
Super User

@adove wrote:

Sorry I didn't clarify before, but I am work with on-prem SharePoint 2013.

SharePoint Online and SharePoint work nearly identical and they use the same SharePoint connector. You still need to verify that the column is in the default view of the SharePoint List that you are invoking within the Flow.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @adove ,

Could you share the full screenshots of the Flow configuration?

It seems that this error occurs because the Dynamic content populated in Full Name field is null.

Full Name field is a non-null field, so you must ensure that the Dynamic content populated here is also not empty.

Please try to use Compose to output the value of Display Name to see if it is empty.

You could also use Condition to exclude the Display Name from being empty.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
adove

I have solved the problem with a workaround by using 'Send an HTTP request to SharePoint' and inserting the data into the list columns via the REST API, but this wasn't the expected solution. Is there no way to select dropdown values using the 'create item' action? My choice fields (I have 2 -- 1 for city and another for status) are straightforward, single-value choice fields. I would expect that I could optionally force a value into the field using a dropdown choice from within Flow, but the field appears to only accept JSON. I can't seem to script the correct syntax for the JSON so I gave up and created a secondary step which was the REST call after the create item.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @adove ,

I did a test on my side. If the field type is Choice and only allows single-selection, then we can select the choice value directly when configuring Update item action.

Image reference:

23.PNG

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (6,646)