cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sblack
Level: Powered On

How to create a flow to update list B when changes are made in list A

I have one master list and have created a flow to move all items from one department to a second list. However, now I need a flow to update list B when I make changes to any corresponding items in list A.

Community Support Team Rank
Community Support Team

Re: How to create a flow to update list B when changes are made in list A

Hi @sblack,

Do you want to update corresponding item in List A when an item is modified in List B?

I have made the following flow, please check it for a reference.

When an item is modified in List A, trigger the flow.

Then Get items from List B. You could either use a Condition or Filter Query to filter the corresponding item in List B. Here, I am using Filter Query.

When Title in List B equals to Title in List A, update item in List B with value from List A.

A screenshot for your reference:

1.PNG 

Best regards,

Mabel

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
sblack

Thank you Mabel. I just want to update List B when I modify an item in List A. I tried your flow, but it didn't update the items in List B, although it says it ran successfully. So, I tried to change the Get Items to List A, since that is where the changes are coming from, and I got this error:

{
"error": {
"code": 502,
"source": "flow-apim-msmanaged-na-northcentralus-01.azure-apim.net",
"clientRequestId": "e2beee8d-50e4-4b74-b063-7b5a396495d8",
"message": "BadGateway",
"innerError": {
"status": 500,
"message": "Item does not exist. It may have been deleted by another user.\r\nclientRequestId: e2beee8d-50e4-4b74-b063-7b5a396495d8\r\nserviceRequestId: b903ac9e-80f8-7000-7483-89274dafc25b"
}
}
}
Super User Rank
Super User

@sblack:

The flow created for you by @v-yamao-msft should work for you.  I suggest that you might try to implement her Flow once again and, if you do not get the expected results, post a screen shot of the Flow that you have created.  That way we will be better able to assist.

Scott

sblack

I tried it again and linked the ID and Title fields in the Update Item portion to List B and linked the remaining fields to List A and it worked! I do have one more question though. Is it possible to get this flow to update a field in List B back to null, if that is the change I make in List A?

Community Support Team Rank
Community Support Team

Hi @sblack,

Do you want to update the column in List B to null if you removed the corresponding column value in List A?

It is possible to be achieved with the similar flow configuration I provided before.

Please take a try with it.

Best regards,

Mabel

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
sblack

Hi again, the solutions provided work to update List B when I am in the flow and testing it. However, once the flow is closed and I update an item in List A the flow doesn't update the corresponding item in List B. The flow says it ran successfully, but the columns in question don't update in List B. Any ideas?

Super User Rank
Super User

@sblack:

Please post a screen shot of your Flow.  That will make it much easier to assist.

Scott

sblack

@ScottShearer here is my flow:

1.png2.png

Again, this works when I am in the flow and run a test. It just doesn't work when I am out of the edit flow screen. It isn't failing anywhere, it just isn't picking up the changes to the Master List in order to update the GAM list. If it helps, I am editing the Master List in Quick Edit mode, both in the test screen and not.

Super User Rank
Super User

@sblack:

When you make a change to the Master list, does the Flow fire/run?

If so, have you taken a look at the results of a run to figure out why you aren't getting the results you expect?  For example, is your Get Items action returning any results?

Also, can you verify that the columns that you are referencing in the Update Item action are from the Dynamic properties for the When an item is created trigger and not the Get Items action?

Scott

Sccott

>