cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
MN003
Post Patron
Post Patron

How to fix Approval "Required To" field error?

Hello,

 

My approval flow was working perfectly fine before and now that I've copied a few lists to a new site, the workflow no longer works when it gets to the approval stage because of this error. I have a separate list that pulls approvers based on what division they select. It worked fine before and I haven't changed a thing, except for the site and list name which are correct, in the get items step. Any ideas on how I can get rid of this error?

 

MN003_0-1624363447110.png

MN003_1-1624363475271.png

 

10 REPLIES 10
Pstork1
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

If you changed the Site, then you changed the site collection.  If the list with the approvers is in the old Site collection then its no longer available when working in the context of the new site collection.  That's why the approval doesn't work anymore.  I suspect if you check on a recent run you will find that either the Get items failed or the people who were retrieved don't have access to the site where the approval is.



-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

I see what you mean. Since I copied the list of approvers from the old collection to the new one and manually filled in the approvers, this is where the issue could be? Should I delete the approver list on the new site and recreate it? I did double check the recent runs and the Get items ran perfectly every time I just kept getting the same error above.

Do the people in the approvers list have access to the new site?  Have they been added as members?  They need permission to access the new site if they are going to be approvers.  Copying the list won't give them permission.  I would also check that the assigned to field is being populated out of the new list and not trying to load the old one.



-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Yes they do and at the moment I have myself and another person as an approver with full access which worked fine on the old site/list. Double checked and everything is pointing to the new approver list.

Looking more closely at the append to action that loads the approvers into the variable that will be used in the approvers field I don't see any semicolon after the approver or a space.  I would add a compose just before you start the approval to check what is in that variable.  It should be a comma delimited list of email addresses.  I suspect its not.



-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Got it, I did go back and add the semicolon. I also added the compose to check what's in the variable and it looks like it's still empty. I'm so discouraged I'm not sure what to do next except try rebuilding the list from scratch.

Did you already check that the Get Items actually brings back some values?  Where is it getting DivisionID from?



-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

I did check that and it looked like it wasn't bring back any values for some reason. It was supposed to get that from the other list. So when a person submits a request it would automatically pull the ID and approver based on the division they selected. But it seems the connection is broken somehow.

I've finally figured it out, I was missing a field in my PowerApps form (DivisionID) on one of my sharepoint lists that I was trying to connect to, that made the connection based on the ID of the division that they selected. Once I updated the default value everything runs smoothly. Who would've thought it was a PowerApps issue.

I think these questions helped me get to the solution in my case. Thank you again for helping me troubleshoot to get to the issue. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Automate News & Announcements

Power Automate News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Automate community.

Community Calls Conversations

Community Calls Conversations

A great place where you can stay up to date with community calls and interact with the speakers.

Power Automate Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Users online (5,532)