cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

How to get SharePoint library column metadata

I have a trigger 'When a file is created or modified in a folder' which I am using to grab the library file, however, I am unable to grab other important library column metadata. I am trying to use a conditional action using the 'Created' and 'Modified' metadata, however, these attributes are not exposed in the Dynamic Content picker. Which action would I need to include in my flow to expose the remainder of the library column metadata so I could use it?

Here are the steps in my current flow:

1. When a file is created or modified in a folder (trigger)

2. Get files (properties only)

3. Send an email - this action emails the attached library file

4. Condition - I am trying to grab the 'Created' and 'Modified' values but cannot

Thanks,

adove

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Re: How to get SharePoint library column metadata

There is a specific action to get the file metadata in SharePoint.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

When I attempt to use the 'Get file metadata' action I receive an error (or what I perceive to be an error). This action asks for two (2) items: the Site address and the File identifier. While I can enter the site address fine, when I try to add the File Identifier is where things go wrong. When I click the selector folder icon to grab the identifier I get a popup stating "Cannot evaluate the parameter 'path.$.dataset' at design-time; it is empty or has a runtime expression."

Do you know what could be causing this problem or how to fix?

Thanks.

Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

I was able to grab the 'File Identifier' by clicking inside the textbox and select it from the Dynamic Content, however, the metadata is specific to the file itself and not to the library item. I need to grab other metadata for the selected library item (such as Created or Modified).

Highlighted
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

What is included in the LIbrary AllItems view?  If you add the Created and Modified columns into that view they should be included with the information that comes from the trigger.

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @adove ,

Please refer to the screenshot below for Dynamic content.

You could get Created and Modified using Get file properties action.

38.PNG

Or you could use When a file is created or modified (properties only) as the trigger, you still can specify Folder.

39.PNG

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

While the detailed screenshots and explanation were great, I still cannot retreive the 'Created' or 'Modified' properties. I have replicated my project to appear exactly like yours, however, when I click to choose a value for the condition the 'Created' or 'Modified' properties in the Dynamic Content is not available. Ugh! Any ideas why this might be so?

Flow_File_Metadata2.png

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @adove ,

You didn't specify a Site Address and a Library Name, and it seems that you can't get specific properties through Dynamic content.

I recommend that you use When a file is created or modified (properties only) as the trigger.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Your issue is the action you are using. If you switch to the When a File is Created or Modified (Properties Only) as your trigger you will see that you do get the Created and Modified properties. This will also let you specify the folder that you want to watch. If you need the actual contents of the File you can easily retrieve those using the Get File Content action. Compare the two screenshots below for the properties supplied by the two triggers.

screenshot.pngScreenshot2.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Upcoming Events

Experience what’s next for Power Automate

See the latest Power Automate innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Find your favorite faces from the community presenting at the Power Platform Community Conference!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,855)