cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JackieZhu
Level: Powered On

How to get name in "send email with option" and put it in approval history

Hi There,

I am trying to create approval history for send email with options. However, I am not sure how to make it as a dynamic selection for the approvor. 

Please see below screenshot. I am sending email to Jackie and want to show in appoval history whether this is approved or rejected. However, I don't want to put Jackie as fixed word, as it could be someone else (e.g. Jennifer). Is there any way to make it equal to the email address in the above step?

2019-07-08_13-38-22.jpg

Many thanks in advance for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: How to get name in "send email with option" and put it in approval history

Just go back a step and create a string variable to hold the email.  Then use that to set the To and to record who it was that made the comment.  Taht also makes it easy to do the backup because all you need to do is set the email in the variable.  You could even check the email to see if an "Out Of Office" message was set and switch to the manager automatically.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

A very simplistic solution, but either use the same dynamic content value you use when setting the original To value or save that dynamic content as a variable and use the variable wehn you write out the comment.  Or are you sending the same email to multiple people?

Super User
Super User

@JackieZhu 

Is there a reason that you aren't using an approval action?  It looks like your options are approve and reject, so the standard (non-premium) approval actions might work for you.  If you use an approval action, you will have access to the identity of the individual who approved the item.

Scott
JackieZhu

@Pstork1 

Well, In the send email with option, it is not a dynamic value. I put a regular email there.

The reason that I want to have a dynamic selection in the history, is because I may want to put a backup email if the manager is on vacation and can not approva at the moment. In this case, I want the approval history to show the backup manger name.

JackieZhu

@ScottShearer 

Approval action can not have attachments. I used email with option as sometimes it may have multiple attachments.

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Just go back a step and create a string variable to hold the email.  Then use that to set the To and to record who it was that made the comment.  Taht also makes it easy to do the backup because all you need to do is set the email in the variable.  You could even check the email to see if an "Out Of Office" message was set and switch to the manager automatically.

View solution in original post

JackieZhu

@Pstork1 

Thank you! I think that may work. However, I am kind of new to the flow. Not sure how to do string variable to hold email.

Do you happen to have an example so I can follow?

Thank you so much for your time and effort!

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

There is an action called 'Initialize Variable' That will create the variable and you can specify what type of data it will hold.  In your case it would be 'String'.  You can set the value at that point if you want.  You can change it later using an action called 'Set Variable'.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

New Ranks and Rank Icons in April

Read the announcement for more information!

firstImage

Better Together Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Community Summit North America

The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (4,894)