cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How to include a condition to check multiple values in a column

I have a Document Library flow that needs to email a specific person depending on the Country that is selected from a choice list called 'Country'.

If United Kingdom, Denmark, Sweden, Finland or Germany are selected then I need Person A to be emailed, for any other country Person B. I thought the below condition would work:

@contains(triggerBody()?['Country'], 'United Kingdom', or(contains(triggerBody()?['Country'], 'Denmark', or(contains(triggerBody()?['Country'], 'Sweden', or(contains(triggerBody()?['Country'], 'Finland', or(contains(triggerBody()?['Country'], 'Germany')))))))))

But it keeps throwing up the following error:

Unable to process template language expressions for action 'Condition_4' at line '1' and column '2485': 'The template language function 'contains' expects its first argument 'collection' to be a dictionary (object), an array or a string. The provided value is of type 'Null'.'.

Any idea where i am going wrong? Should it be Country Value instead of Country in the condition string?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Resolver III
Resolver III

Re: How to include a condition to check multiple values in a column

Hi @tommyprisco2016

You can try a different approach, without the condition.

I have a flow with different departments, but it should be the same - can choose the depart from a list, in sharepoint.

Capture.JPG

Instead of DEPART, you`ll have Country, of course 🙂 and at Assign to, use this expression: if(equals(variables('Country'),'United Kingdom''),'test1@yyy.com',if(equals(variables('Country'),'Denmark'),'test2@yyy.com','test3@yyy.com'))

So, if UK is selected, will send the mail to test1@yyy.com

If Denmark is selected, will send the mail to test2@yyy.com

If anything else is selected, will send the mail to test3@yyy.com

Adapt it to your needs, it should work

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hi @tommyprisco2016

You can try a different approach, without the condition.

I have a flow with different departments, but it should be the same - can choose the depart from a list, in sharepoint.

Capture.JPG

Instead of DEPART, you`ll have Country, of course 🙂 and at Assign to, use this expression: if(equals(variables('Country'),'United Kingdom''),'test1@yyy.com',if(equals(variables('Country'),'Denmark'),'test2@yyy.com','test3@yyy.com'))

So, if UK is selected, will send the mail to test1@yyy.com

If Denmark is selected, will send the mail to test2@yyy.com

If anything else is selected, will send the mail to test3@yyy.com

Adapt it to your needs, it should work

Proud to be a Flownaut!

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it and it worked like a charm. Only thing is having to manage multiple email messages for the same person but it's a small price to pay to get this to work.

Highlighted
Resolver III
Resolver III

I`m glad it worked!

What do you mean by having to manage multiple email messages for the same person? I thought that was your goal 🙂  to send emails automatically

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Highlighted

We have 30 Countries and only 1 is managed by 1 person, 6 by another and the rest by a final person. 

So for the 1 Country it's 1 case on the switch, the 6 countries managed by the other person needs 6 seperate cases on that switch and then I set all the rest of the countries to the default switch. 

The 6 countries will all result in the same email to the same person but I have to set up 6 of these emails..... unless i'm missing something

Highlighted

Ah unless you are saying instead of adding emails under each case to add a new condition under the switch and cases with the variables condition mentioned?

Highlighted
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hi @tommyprisco2016

Just build 7 cases, with the 7 countries you need for the 2 people (thats 2 minutes work 🙂 ) And the rest of the countries will go to "Default - if no case contains a matching value".

At TO, use that expression:

if(equals(variables('Country'),'United Kingdom''),'test1@yyy.com',if(equals(variables('Country'),'Denmark'),'test2@yyy.com',if(equals(variables('Country'),'Finland'),'test2@yyy.com'),if(equals(variables('Country'),'Sweden'),'test2@yyy.com'),'test3@yyy.com'))

So in my example, UK will be sent to test1@yyy.com and countries selected Denmark, Finland or Sweden will be sent to test2@yyy.com

Any other country selected will be sent to test3@yyy.com

I just tested with a new NORTH department, flow went to "Default - no case" and sent the mail to one of my colleagues set in that expression as last mail (coresponding with test3@yyy.com in my example), so it works for sure 🙂

Capture.JPG

I presonally prefer it this way, but if you really want conditions, I guess it could work with  2 conditions, using @or, in advanced mode.

EDIT: had a few minutes free and i was able to test some things. My surprise is was that we dont really need the cases anyway, at least for me it works just with the 3 steps below, using that "if" expression:

Capture6.JPG

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Copying your formatting helped me finish my flow. I was stuck. Thank you!

Highlighted
Helper IV
Helper IV

I need to add this if condition to "start and wait for an approval" - assigned to field.I have tried,but i an getting error .

I need to add if condition to assigned to field on start and wait an approval.Please help me

Highlighted
Helper IV
Helper IV

I need to put if condition on start and wait for an approval

I need to put below condition to start and wait for an approval - assigned to field.
if(equals(variables('Region'),'APAC'),'mail1',if(equals(variables('Region'),'mail2'),'EMEA','elancheran_e@vfc.com'))

Here mail1,mail2 is string variable and it contains multiple approvers mail ID.

I have tried this condition and its failed

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Now Live: Power Virtual Agents Community!

We are excited to announce the launch of Power Virtual Agents Community. Check it out now!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

Top Solution Authors
Users online (5,702)