cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
YatinMumbai
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

How to manually trigger an Automated flow where - When a file is created (SharePoint) - is the only trigger

I have a Flow that has a trigger "When a file is created" (SharePoint). Some times the flow fails to run due to missing mandatory properties/columns in the SharePoint document library. How to manually trigger the flow? Since I do not have "modified" in trigger, I cannot update some SharePoint column for flow to run. 

Background: I have an Excel template where certain cells are linked as custom properties. These cell values are updated in SharePoint columns on upload. Sometimes, when a user fills the tempalte and uploads the file, these values are not updated in SharePoint columns. Unfortunately, SharePoint will allow the file upload but mark it as "Files that need attention". I wish such files are rejected if mandatory columns are not populated.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Expiscornovus
Super User
Super User

Hi @YatinMumbai,

When it is not triggered you won't have a flow instance to resubmit.

I would use the following approach:

copy/save the flow as a new flow. Replace the when a file is created trigger action by a for a selected file trigger action.

Use that copy of the flow  to manually trigger the files which don't get triggered by the original flow.

Happy to help out! 🙂

Interested in more #PowerAutomate #SharePointOnline or #PowerVirtualAgents content?
Visit my blog, Subscribe to my YouTube channel or Follow me on Twitter

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Expiscornovus
Super User
Super User

Hi @YatinMumbai,

When it is not triggered you won't have a flow instance to resubmit.

I would use the following approach:

copy/save the flow as a new flow. Replace the when a file is created trigger action by a for a selected file trigger action.

Use that copy of the flow  to manually trigger the files which don't get triggered by the original flow.

Happy to help out! 🙂

Interested in more #PowerAutomate #SharePointOnline or #PowerVirtualAgents content?
Visit my blog, Subscribe to my YouTube channel or Follow me on Twitter

I tried this but it has not worked. My subsequent actions have references to file properties / columns. After For a selected file trigger I have also added Get file properties action with ID from the previous action. But those subsequent actions are showing errors.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Automate News & Announcements

Power Automate News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Automate community.

Power Automate Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Users online (2,924)