cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cashwath28
Level: Powered On

How to monitor specific 2 emails based on subject

Hi,

This is chandrashekar, i am trying to build an app to monitor emails based on subject. Currently i receive an email with subject saying that "Started" after 20 mins i will receive another email with subject saying that "Completed". I need help to build a flow whenever i receive a "Started" mail then logic flow should monitor for another 20 min and whenever we receive "Completed" mail it should send a message or notification else it should send fail message or notification. Your help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Chandru

3 REPLIES 3
Super User
Super User

Re: How to monitor specific 2 emails based on subject

Hi @cashwath28 ,

Flow generally triggers on one particular event. So in your case email  subject which monitors for subject as "Started". Also there is a flow step called "dealy until" which allows to wait the process until that specified condition is met. The next requirement is to monitor for "Completed" subject emails. I don't think it is possible to acheive within the same flow monitoring another subject after the initial trigger. 

You may need couple of things here.

Part I

1. Create a flow step  'When a new email arrives'.

2. In your email subject along with Started use some unqiue identifier as well. Same identifier to use in Completed email as well. This way you can recognise the same email reference for Started and Completed.

eg: Started - Ref100, Completed - Ref100

3. Parse the Reference (eg: Ref100) & Started or Completed text using the split function from flow.

4. Check for subject "Started" or "Completed"

5. If "Started" then create a record (Three columns - Reference, Status, Date Expected To Complete) in Excel or a database of your choice (flow supported). Refernce will update as Ref100, Status column will update as Started or Completed and work out the Date Expected to complete from DateNow + 20 minutes

Part II.

Trigger another new flow schduled interval to look every 5 minutes or so. Please note that here the trigger is every 5 minutes so an hour flow run 12 times and for a day its 288 times the flow runs.

Check for the Status Started and if DateTime is more than 20 minutes then send email.

It's not the straight foward way but it is achieveable. Have a look and see if this design fits your requirement or not.

Thanks

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up

Proud to be a Flownaut!

cashwath28
Level: Powered On

Hi @abm ,

I am not able to understand 2nd part, i am struggling to imagine how part 2 works. If you dont mind could you explain me bit precisely.

I hope i am not disturbing you.

Thanks,

Chandru

Super User
Super User

Hi,
I was travelling earlier. Of course happy to help you.
So Part I we discussed about storing the values in a database or excel sheet.
Part II basically you are reading the database or excel sheet and checking the status value is still started and time is more than 20 minutes then send the email. So in part II you need a new flow trigger as occurrence and set the relevant time interval.
Hope it make sense.
Thanks

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Watch the event on demand for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020.

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 287 members 3,714 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: