cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
UI-namanjoshi
Frequent Visitor

How to move old emails from a shared mailbox Inbox to Archive folder

Hi All,

I am trying to build a flow to move all my old emails (95,000+) from Inbox to Archive folder, I have tried moving them via Outlook application but that did not work.

So I have created an "PA FLow" to move emails <01-01-2021 to the Archive folder, but the flow is only being executed on New emails coming into my Shared Inbox, not on emails that are already present in my shared-Inbox.

Can someone help me on this, is this possible to achieve from PA flows or is there any other way I need to look to achieve this goal?

Thank you!

16 REPLIES 16
Gericom
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi @UI-namanjoshi 

i have found a solution for your question 

Gericom_0-1622714178147.pngGericom_1-1622714200583.png

notes you can only get the top 25 so you need to calculate the number of loops you need 

you need to add a filter query 

with kind regards

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up

Hi @Gericom , thanks for the snippets, I tried the steps from your snippets, but 1st step not able to create, it says you can not initialize a variable, is something being cropped from your snippet? Also is your solution for the Sharedbox email folder?

UI-namanjoshi_1-1622717249447.png

Gericom
Resolver II
Resolver II

hi @UI-namanjoshi 

my bad 

Gericom_0-1622717880641.png

yes you can use it on a shared mailbox but you need to add it to my connections  see the picture

with kind regards

Hi @Gericom , thank you for your reply, am bit new in this Power Automate era 🙂

Let me re-brief the goal which I am trying to achieve here is to move all the email which are less than 01-01-2021 from my "sharedbox Inbox" folder, surprisingly when I used the "Get emails(V3)" which you have used in your snippet, I am not able to select the Inbox from sharedbox account, it's showing my Inbox.

Below is the snippet of my flow experiment which I have written to move old emails into a different folder.

UI-namanjoshi_0-1622718481326.png

UI-namanjoshi_1-1622718544632.png

Hi @Gericom I got your point and able to move 10 emails from (Sharedbox) the Current Inbox to Old-Inbox folder using the below flow, now the only point is, it's moving the new emails, my goal is to move emails that are older than 01-01-2021, am I missing something in adding the timestamp condition somewhere?

UI-namanjoshi_0-1622720744386.png

UI-namanjoshi_1-1622720815600.png

UI-namanjoshi_2-1622720876100.png

Gericom
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi @UI-namanjoshi 

To do that you need to add a filter querty in de get emails action these are the same syntax as you would use in oultook 

with kind regards

Hi @Gericom , I tried the same syntax which works in outlook filter query but here it's not working, could you pls try once from your end, below are the test snippets from my end.

UI-namanjoshi_0-1622730959159.png

UI-namanjoshi_1-1622731096101.png

Gericom
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi @UI-namanjoshi 

use 

received<2021-01-01 

this would work 

with kind regards

thanks @Gericom  for the timestamp condition, but I have tried by providing the same input condition as "received<2021-01-01" , no output from the result.

Also I see one warning too in that success run output... 

UI-namanjoshi_0-1622733111137.png

UI-namanjoshi_1-1622733206986.png

UI-namanjoshi_2-1622733308876.png

VictorIvanidze
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @UI-namanjoshi,

why didn't you run AutoArchive in Outlook? Why re-inventing a bike?

rule1.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Contact me if you are interested in custom Power Automate development.
UI-namanjoshi
Frequent Visitor

Hi @VictorIvanidze , Thank you for your response, As I mentioned in my base question, we have more than 9,90,000 emails in "Inbox" folder, we have tried applying Rules via Outlook Application & Web, but nothing worked. that's the reason I am trying to find other possibilities to solve this basic problem to move my old emails into different folder which unfortunately Microsoft can not fix at the moment. 

VictorIvanidze
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @UI-namanjoshi, I understood you " have tried applying Rules via Outlook Application & Web", but did try to use Outlook native method (see my screenshot above)?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UI-namanjoshi
Frequent Visitor

Hi @VictorIvanidze , for some reason in my Windows Outlook application I don't see this option. But from Web I can see on Inbox we can assign policy, I have added as "1 year move to Archive" but till now no old emails moved to "Archive" folder...

From Outlook Application:

UI-namanjoshi_0-1623390750156.png

From web:

UI-namanjoshi_1-1623393191363.png

NotAGovEmployee
Frequent Visitor

This does not work. The loop only loops through the top 25 emails. Then if you put that in another loop (do until), it will still only search the top 25 emails (the same top 25). It loops through the same emails until the first loop ends. My example is set to loop 16 times, see below pictures which show the same output for each iteration of the loop: 

My use case is I need to archive/move multiple emails over the course of years based off a keyword in the subject line or body of the email. 

Please show the whole flow.

NotAGovEmployee
Frequent Visitor

Hello. I played with it a little more and changed it up best I could. Its accuracy is about 80% still... I can clearly see the flow did not move an email that satisfies the criteria of the flow. Thoughts?

I did use your workaround by using rules in Outlook, but my fear is I won't have as much control over those I'm supporting as I would with Power Automate.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Automate News & Announcements

Power Automate News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Automate community.

Power Automate Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Users online (4,873)