cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dlprentice
Resolver II
Resolver II

How to only advance an approval if half or more approvers submit approved responses?

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to build out an approval that only takes the "Approved" path if more than half of the approvers submit "Approved" responses. Off the top of my head I can think of some complicated ways to make this work, but is there an easier or more straightforward way to do this? Lets assume we have 10 approvers, if 5 or more submit approved responses the flow should take the approved path.

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

The responses come in as part of a collection of response objects.  You can use an Apply to each and one or more variables to count the number of Approve and Reject.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

The one problem with the way its setup now is that unless you turn on Parallelism in the settings of the apply to each it will only send each approval after the one before it has completed.  I don't think that is what you intend.  Other than that it should work.

7 REPLIES 7
Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

The problem trying to do this is that the flow won't advance until all the approvers have submitted responses. So you can definitely have it advance if 5 of 10 say approve and the other 5 say reject.  But there is no easy way to advance when using a single approval until all have responded one way or another.

Thanks for a quick response, I think having responses submitted in our case won't be an issue (I could of probably worded this better). Mostly just trying to figure out the "If Approved equal to or greater than 5, take approval path". If someone won't respond we will address that separately since that is a person thing at that point.

@Pstork1 I suppose my question now is, how would I count the number of approvals vs rejects? If I can figure that out it can be compared in a condition to perform 

Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

The responses come in as part of a collection of response objects.  You can use an Apply to each and one or more variables to count the number of Approve and Reject.

I appreciate the info @Pstork1 ! I don't think I did things the way you intended, but this does seem to work:

Do you foresee any disadvantage to doing things this way?

Screenshot 2021-02-22 154213.png

Screenshot 2021-02-22 154245.png

Screenshot 2021-02-22 154302.png

To clarify the "Apply to each" is just to send an approval to each email listed on the Approvers SharePoint list.

Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

The one problem with the way its setup now is that unless you turn on Parallelism in the settings of the apply to each it will only send each approval after the one before it has completed.  I don't think that is what you intend.  Other than that it should work.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Process Advisor

Introducing Process Advisor

Check out the new Process Advisor community forum board!

MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Users online (2,292)