cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

How to read an Excel table data

Can anyone please explain how "List rows present in a table" works?

I'm trying to create a bunch of tasks in Planner from an Excel table, in fact there's a template for this that I'm not being able to replicate.

What am I supposed to enter in Apply to each?? And why 2 Apply to each?

WebPortal_0-1603296838031.png

I get the error:

The execution of template action 'Apply_to_each_2' failed: the result of the evaluation of 'foreach' expression '@items('Apply_to_each_3')' is of type 'Object'. The result must be a valid array.

So, I've also tried the action: "Get tables".

But that, does not allow me to get any table (only the file???):

WebPortal_1-1603297063959.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User III
Super User III

It's difficult to see where it has gone wrong, but it should be more simple than your setup. My excel table:

ExcelTasks.PNG

The flow:

CreateTasks.PNG

You don't need to create the "Apply to each" action. It gets created for you when you select create a task use the excel table as the input. 

I don't know if my screenshot will help you, but it should work as above. The result:

TasksCreated.PNG

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Super User III
Super User III

It's difficult to see where it has gone wrong, but it should be more simple than your setup. My excel table:

ExcelTasks.PNG

The flow:

CreateTasks.PNG

You don't need to create the "Apply to each" action. It gets created for you when you select create a task use the excel table as the input. 

I don't know if my screenshot will help you, but it should work as above. The result:

TasksCreated.PNG

View solution in original post

@Paulie78 , thank you so much for your help!

This is tricky... the input for the "Apply to each" can be one of three:

• value (list of items)
  • body (list of items)
  • body/value (item)

I have no idea which one to use, and couldn't find any documentation about this, so tried all of them iteratively with a lot of trial and error.

To me, the action "Get tables" should allow to get at least one table, but it doesn't seem to get any table...

So, all this Power Automate thing seems a little unfinished and buggy, until you invest enough time.

Anyway, replicating your solution, it worked, with the input body/value (item). 

The only issue was to find the bucket id and feed it into the "Create a task" step. For this, I had to manually discover each bucket id (with a "List buckets" action) and then create a VLOOKUP column in the Excel file, so I could allocate each task to a specific bucket.

Well done! Glad you got it working.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

Join digitally, March 2–4, 2021 to explore new tech that's ready to implement. Experience the keynote in mixed reality through AltspaceVR!

New Super Users

Meet the Power Automate Super Users!

Many congratulations to the Season 1 2021 Flownaut Crew!

New Badges

New Solution Badges!

Check out our new profile badges recognizing authored solutions!

MPA Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the community blog page where you can find valuable learning material from community and product team members!

Users online (35,850)