cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dmistry
Level 8

How to rename a SharePoint file name upon upload in the document library using Microsoft Flow?

Hello,

One of the Projects I am working on, I have a requirement to rename the SharePoint Document Library file name upon upload. Basically I have a lookup column called 'Entity ID' from which the user selects a value before hitting on Save or CheckIn as its a mandatory field. This will be the case for every file upload in this specific library location.

Let's say the Uploaded file name was: "Test Accounting" and the chosen Entity ID value was "15001". So once the user hit on save or checkin buttons the document in the library, then the renamed file name would look like: "Test Accounting 15001". Bascially the selected Entity ID value must be appended to the end of the File name as renaming convention while uploading or post upload.

Is this possible to do using Flow? Please help if anyone knows, thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: How to rename a SharePoint file name upon upload in the document library using Microsoft Flow?

Hi @dmistry,

Could you please share a bit more about your SharePoint library?

Do you want your flow to rename your uploaded file after you selected a value within Entity ID field and clicked the Save button?

I have made a test on my side and please take a try with the following workaround:

• Add a "When a file is crated or modified (properties only)" trigger.
  • Add a Condition, click "Edit in advanced mode", type the following formula:
@not(empty(triggerBody()?['Entity_x0020_ID']))
  • Within "If/yes" branch of Condition, add a "Get file content" action, specify Site Address and File Identifier field set to Identifier dynamic content of the trigger. Add a "Create file" action, specify Site Address and the Folder Path set to another SharePoint library. File Name set to following formula:
concat(split(triggerBody()?['{FilenameWithExtension}'],'.')[0],' ',triggerBody()?['Entity_x0020_ID']['Value'],'.',split(triggerBody()?['{FilenameWithExtension}'],'.')[1])

File Content field set to File Content dynamic content of the "Get file content" action.

Then add a "Delete file" action, specify Site Address and the File Identifier field set to Identifier dynamic content of the trigger.

Add a "Copy file" action, specify Site Address, Source File Path set to Path dynamic content of the trigger, Destination File Path field set to Folder path dynamic content of the trigger and the DisplayName dynamic content of the "Create file" action.

Add a "Delete file 2" action, specify Site Address and the File Identifier field set to Id dynamic content of the "Create file" action.

Image reference:27.JPG

28.JPGNote: The Entity ID column is a Lookup type column in my SharePoint library.

The flow works successfully as below:29.JPG

30.JPG

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: How to rename a SharePoint file name upon upload in the document library using Microsoft Flow?

Hi @dmistry,

Could you please share a bit more about your SharePoint library?

Do you want your flow to rename your uploaded file after you selected a value within Entity ID field and clicked the Save button?

I have made a test on my side and please take a try with the following workaround:

• Add a "When a file is crated or modified (properties only)" trigger.
  • Add a Condition, click "Edit in advanced mode", type the following formula:
@not(empty(triggerBody()?['Entity_x0020_ID']))
  • Within "If/yes" branch of Condition, add a "Get file content" action, specify Site Address and File Identifier field set to Identifier dynamic content of the trigger. Add a "Create file" action, specify Site Address and the Folder Path set to another SharePoint library. File Name set to following formula:
concat(split(triggerBody()?['{FilenameWithExtension}'],'.')[0],' ',triggerBody()?['Entity_x0020_ID']['Value'],'.',split(triggerBody()?['{FilenameWithExtension}'],'.')[1])

File Content field set to File Content dynamic content of the "Get file content" action.

Then add a "Delete file" action, specify Site Address and the File Identifier field set to Identifier dynamic content of the trigger.

Add a "Copy file" action, specify Site Address, Source File Path set to Path dynamic content of the trigger, Destination File Path field set to Folder path dynamic content of the trigger and the DisplayName dynamic content of the "Create file" action.

Add a "Delete file 2" action, specify Site Address and the File Identifier field set to Id dynamic content of the "Create file" action.

Image reference:27.JPG

28.JPGNote: The Entity ID column is a Lookup type column in my SharePoint library.

The flow works successfully as below:29.JPG

30.JPG

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
PytByt
Level: Powered On

hi @v-xida-msft 

i want to try this, could you help out by explaining it more detail in step by step?

i mean, where do i start and how?

thanks.

pytbyt

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Watch the event on demand for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020.

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 325 members 4,668 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: