cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Richard_Nelson
Advocate I
Advocate I

How to retain the existing values in a SharePoint Item when updating it i.e how to concat the new data rather than overwrite?

Hi,

This is, I'm sure really simple! But I can't quite get my head around it. 

We have a simple form->approval->update SharePoint Power Automate which was working fine.

We have needed to change the approval to get 2 approvers to approve rather than one.

So the SharePoint update item is now inside am "apply to each" which is fine, but means that only the notes/name from the second approver ends up in the SharePoint list, the response and comments from the first approver gets over written when the update runs for a second time.

For example

First approver comments "Thats fine"

Second approver comments "Yes go ahead"

SharePoint list shows "Yes go ahead"

I want the list to say    "Thats fine   Yes go ahead"

Is there an expression or similar that will make the SharePoint "update item" concatenate the additional information to what already exists in the field, rather than overwriting it?

Hope I 'm making sense!

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
yashkamdar
Super User II
Super User II

Hello Team,

This is extremely simple !!

Let me help you with it.

So you need to configure an expression called Concat for this as follows-

concat(outputs('Get_item')?['body/Approval_x0020_Status_x0020_with'],outputs('Compose'))

So here what I am doing is creating a Compose action where I am populating this COMPOSE action with some value lets say value of a field (you can add your approval comments here) and then write a concat expression to concat the string present in COMPOSE action with the already present value in Approval Status action.

yashkamdar_0-1599845245515.png

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
yashkamdar
Super User II
Super User II

Hello Team,

This is extremely simple !!

Let me help you with it.

So you need to configure an expression called Concat for this as follows-

concat(outputs('Get_item')?['body/Approval_x0020_Status_x0020_with'],outputs('Compose'))

So here what I am doing is creating a Compose action where I am populating this COMPOSE action with some value lets say value of a field (you can add your approval comments here) and then write a concat expression to concat the string present in COMPOSE action with the already present value in Approval Status action.

yashkamdar_0-1599845245515.png

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
March Update

Join Stephen Siciliano and the Power Automate team at MBAS

Make sure you are registered #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS Carousel

May the fourth be with you, join us online!

MSFTBizAppsLaunchEvent

Experience what’s next for Power Virtual Agents

See the latest Power Automate innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (61,036)