cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jyost
Level: Powered On

How to send approval email for time off to supervisor?

We have two lists, TimeOffRequests and Employees. The TimeOffReqeust form has a Person field to select who is requesting time off. The Employee list has a column called Supervisor which is also a person.

When the employee complestes a new TimeOffReqeust in Sharepoint we want to send an approval email to his or her Supervisor.

Sounds simple but we have tried diong this several ways and none of them have resulted in a working flow...

1) Step 1) get the Employee's Supervisor from the Employee list by filtering on the Employee. We tried this but we cannot build a filter expression that is accepted. We can't use Name eq Name becuase (left side is from the Employee list and the right side is from the TimeOffRequest item) because Name or Name ID is not available in the dynamic content pulled from Sharepoint. We tried filtering by Email but then we get an error that "Name.Email", "Name/Email", and "Name\Email" don't exist as a column in Employees.

2) We pulled all Employees and tried to apply a condition to each item returned (each Employee) to send an email when the Employee's Email (or DisplayName) match the item's "Name Email" or "Name DisplayName". But the problem here is that you can't send an approval email inside of a foreach that you're using to find which Employee matched the Employee who created the item.

Anyone else have any ideas here? Seems like a pretty simple flow but there appears to be too many subtle features missing like the ability to filter on Name.ID or the ability to take the first element from the results of a conditional match to send an approval email to.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: How to send approval email for time off to supervisor?

Hi Jyost,

I try to create a flow to achieve what you want, but it seems that I got the same results with you.

Is the supervisor a Manager? If yes, please consider to use the action “Get Manager” in your flow:

3.PNG

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi Jyost,

I try to create a flow to achieve what you want, but it seems that I got the same results with you.

Is the supervisor a Manager? If yes, please consider to use the action “Get Manager” in your flow:

3.PNG

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

jyost
Level: Powered On

Hi Mabel,

Yes! I used the Get Manager step that you mentioned and it's working! Thank you so much for that suggestion. I struggled trying to get this to work by adding the Employee's supervisor to the list and several other approaches. Unfortunately it seems that referncing other lists is currently difficult to do in Flow. But, thankfully we use Office 365 and it's Exchange service so I was able to assign everyone's Manager in Exchange and the flow was able to pull the manager and send the approval to them inside of Flow with no additional issues.

Thanks again!

John

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi Jyost,

I am glad to hear that my suggestion works for you.

Any time you got issues when work with Microsoft Flow, welcome post your issues here, we are always ready to help.

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,916)