cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AIUYM19
Level: Powered On

How to test only parts of a flow without running the whole thing

I'm building a somewhat lengthy flow that grabs data from a SharePoint list several times (different ODATA filters each time). After grabbing the list data, it then chews on it before firing off appropriate emails to appropriate people. This scheduled flow has been working for a while.

Now, I have some new functionality I'd like to build into the flow. However, how can I build and test this new functionality without running the entire flow? While testing my new/edited flow bits, I don't want it firing off those emails to people.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: How to test only parts of a flow without running the whole thing

Hi @AIUYM19 

There is currently  no option in Flow to disable code execution

You can make a copy of your flow and make updates and test and remove the other parts

Flow also has the option now to Copy to clipboard so you can copy parts of your flow and temporarily move it to an if condition which will never execute

Regards,

Reza Dorrani

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Super User
Super User

Hi @AIUYM19 

There is currently  no option in Flow to disable code execution

You can make a copy of your flow and make updates and test and remove the other parts

Flow also has the option now to Copy to clipboard so you can copy parts of your flow and temporarily move it to an if condition which will never execute

Regards,

Reza Dorrani

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

AIUYM19

@RezaDorraniThat might work. Copying the flow, removing the "email this person" bits, and then testing the new stuff in the copy is something I considered. Is there a way to copy flow components from one flow to another? Otherwise, I would need to build my changes in the disabled copy, test them, and then build them from scratch again in the original (live) flow. Seems like a lot of duplicated effort.

Super User
Super User

Hi @AIUYM19 

You can copy and paste across your Flows

https://flow.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/introducing-clipboard-in-flow-designer-and-three-new-user-expe...

Regards,

Reza Dorrani

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @AIUYM19 ,

As @RezaDorrani  provided, you could refer to the link to copy flow components from one flow to another with Clipboard in flow.

If your problem has been solved, please go ahead and mark the post as solved by clicking “Accept as Solution” so that this thread will be marked for other users to easily identify!

Best regards,

Alice       

Community Support Team _ Alice Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

AIUYM19

@v-alzhan-msft 

Whoa, easy there, Alice. I didn't have a chance to read Reza's response until just now. I fully intend to mark it as the solution, but hounding people about it after only a few hours is not helpful.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Watch the event on demand for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020.

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 69 members 3,511 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: