cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helper V
Helper V

How to use Expressions (Add)

Hi @RezaDorrani,

Firstly, thank you for sharing the expressions #01 series on youtube. It helped me a lot. to understand expressions in Power Automate.

I have some queries.

1. I am using expressions to calculate values in approx 54 sharepoint columns (total 120) which consist of many arithmetic + logical functions. These calculations will be done for approx 2000 rows every time. The resultant schema is passed to PowerApps for analysis. Do you think I am overloading PowerAutomate?
  2. How can I count 12 columns only when the values inside them are not null? Similar to COUNTA in excel.
  3. How can I add more than 2 parameters using Add function? I need to calculate sum of more than 12 columns.

1.png

Can you please help?

Others can help too if they know the solution.

Best,

Aakash

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AakashJaiswal,

1. If only has 54 SharePoint calculate columns, it doesn't overload the limits of expression, the characters limitation is 131,072 characters. If you are familiar with calculate column in SharePoint, you could consider using it which will be easier achieved than expression.

Examples of common formulas in lists - SharePoint (microsoft.com)

2. You could use expression empty() to check if each column is true. Then use if() function to switch output. For example:

if(empty(variable('columnA')),0,variable('columnA'))

3. The add() function only accepts two parameters, add(<summand_1>, <summand_2>).  So if 8 columns add, the expression will be as below:

add(add(add(column1,column2),add(column3,column4)),add(add(column5,column6),add(column7,column8)))

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Lin Tu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AakashJaiswal,

1. If only has 54 SharePoint calculate columns, it doesn't overload the limits of expression, the characters limitation is 131,072 characters. If you are familiar with calculate column in SharePoint, you could consider using it which will be easier achieved than expression.

Examples of common formulas in lists - SharePoint (microsoft.com)

2. You could use expression empty() to check if each column is true. Then use if() function to switch output. For example:

if(empty(variable('columnA')),0,variable('columnA'))

3. The add() function only accepts two parameters, add(<summand_1>, <summand_2>).  So if 8 columns add, the expression will be as below:

add(add(add(column1,column2),add(column3,column4)),add(add(column5,column6),add(column7,column8)))

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Lin Tu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

Join digitally, March 2–4, 2021 to explore new tech that's ready to implement. Experience the keynote in mixed reality through AltspaceVR!

New Super Users

Meet the Power Automate Super Users!

Many congratulations to the Season 1 2021 Flownaut Crew!

Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Power Platform: 2021 Release Wave 1 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 1 describes all new features releasing from April through September 2021.

MPA Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the community blog page where you can find valuable learning material from community and product team members!

Users online (20,674)