cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tanner
Advocate V
Advocate V

How to use Sharepoint List columns dynamic content for Email "To" field

I thought that Sharepoint List columns not available in dynamic content would help me, but apparently Dynamic Content only works for SharePoint List Items in the Subject or Body fields in the Outlook - Send an Email option (see the UsersEmail dynamic content item in the first screenshot):

SubjectWorks.PNG

And does not work if you want a custom value in the To field (see no UsersEmail, only Created By or Modified By Email dynamic content):

ToDoesntWork.PNG

Is there some way to get this? I have an ASP.NET webform that employees fill out and it writes the files to SharePoint using a generic account's credentials. The problem with that is it means the 'Created By' field shows the generic account rather than the person who submitted the form. I don't want rejection or success e-mails going to the generic account's email address... that's useless.

Instead, I want to be able to pick from the entire list of Dynamic Content (this seems to be another case of Microsoft applications trying to be "smart" and failing) and then if it's not an email address, let the mail server handle it as undeliverable. Microsoft Flow should not prevent me from attempting to send to a custom value, which in my case will always be a valid e-mail address.

Again, is there a way around this limitation?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tanner
Advocate V
Advocate V

Okay, I found a frustratingly simple workaround. Because of the lack of a well-implemented responsive layout, you often can't see the full width of the page when working on a Flow. I know... stupid. Well, if you scroll all the way over to the right, you will see a "See More" toggle. Toggling this option will show all of the Dynamic Content items for the respective SharePoint List you are working with.

AreYouKiddingMe.PNG

Why it doesn't show more of these to begin with is beyond me, but then again Flow also makes you scroll horizontally to see everything, so I'm not that surprised at such design choices...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ScottShearer
Super User
Super User

I had no issues referencing a text column that I created to store an email address.  I did need to click on "see more" to see all of the columns.  I tested my workflow and it ran successfully.

SeeMore1.jpgSeeMore2.jpg

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott
Tanner
Advocate V
Advocate V

Okay, I found a frustratingly simple workaround. Because of the lack of a well-implemented responsive layout, you often can't see the full width of the page when working on a Flow. I know... stupid. Well, if you scroll all the way over to the right, you will see a "See More" toggle. Toggling this option will show all of the Dynamic Content items for the respective SharePoint List you are working with.

AreYouKiddingMe.PNG

Why it doesn't show more of these to begin with is beyond me, but then again Flow also makes you scroll horizontally to see everything, so I'm not that surprised at such design choices...

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,567)