cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How to use a flow to grab email addresses from another SharePoint list when a new item is created?

I am building a Flow to be triggered when a new item is created in the Change Request list.

This will trigger a couple of actions, one of which is to send the request to the Team for review and approval.

I want to be able to be able the take the email address/es listed for member/s for the Change Management Team, which are recorded in another Sharepoint list on the same site.

We do not want to just directly select the email address from Outlook, and have it programmed in, as the team members may change, and we don't want to be going into flows all the time to change what email addresses are set in there.

Does anyone know how to get 'email address' from one List, to be able to be copied across or used in the new entry approvals process for an item in another List?

Many thanks,

Adam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: How to use a flow to grab email addresses from another SharePoint list when a new item is create

Hi @  AdamBradbury198,

I have made a test on my side,You could create a Single line of test Column "Email" in the list to save the email addresses of the Change Management Team members, every item of the list would stand for one member.

The screenshot of the list as below:
Capture.PNG

You could refer to screenshot below to create the flow:
Capture.PNG

The flow would run successfully to send the approval as below:
Capture.PNG

Regards,
Alice Zhang

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: How to use a flow to grab email addresses from another SharePoint list when a new item is create

Hi @  AdamBradbury198,

I have made a test on my side,You could create a Single line of test Column "Email" in the list to save the email addresses of the Change Management Team members, every item of the list would stand for one member.

The screenshot of the list as below:
Capture.PNG

You could refer to screenshot below to create the flow:
Capture.PNG

The flow would run successfully to send the approval as below:
Capture.PNG

Regards,
Alice Zhang

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Hi @v-yuazh-msft,

I have tried what you proposed.

However, it comes up with the Action Failed. Error message under Apply to each.

It says: ! ActionFailed.  An action failed.  No dependent actions succeeded.

Under Start an Approval it says:

! Bad Request.  The request failed.  Error code:

'InvalidApprovalSubscribeRequestAssignedToMissing'.  Error Message: 'Required field 'assignedTo' is missing, empty, or contained no valid users.'

{sorry, I couldn't figure out how to insert an image of the failed flow} 

If I leave the settings for the Apply to each at the default (sequential), it will send the approval to the first email address in the list in the Email column.

But the second, third email addresses don't receive anything.

If I change the settings to parallet (50), no approvals at all are sent and the flow errors out in ~ 2 seconds.

Neither Approve by all or Approve by Any avoid the error.

The append to String stage works, as it does return the correct email addresses (for all three emails in the test list) correctly.

But once the 'Start the Approval' stage starts, it doesn't seem to recognise the multiple emails as valid entries.

The flow doesn't seem to like the multiple email addresses, (as if  Ileave parallel setting to default, it will send to 1st person on list (me) but not subsequent members).

Have I misunderstood something in your instructions.

Many thanks,

Adam

Highlighted

Sorted it, there was a semi colon I had missed after the {X} Email;

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Thanks for pointing it out. Its very common how we could miss the small things. I am breaking my head for this issue. Finally sorted after adding ';'. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

firstImage

Join the new Power Virtual Agents Community!

We are excited to announce the launch of Power Virtual Agents Community. Check it out now!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (10,427)