cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper IV
Helper IV

I can't save a file as .xlsx type (Excel file), is this not possible? (see screenshot)

- Save file as .txt file works. <-

- Save file as .xlsx DOES not work... <-

xlsx.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

Re: I can't save a file as .xlsx type (Excel file), is this not possible? (see screenshot)

You can create a CSV file using the Create file action. You can create an Excel file, but you then have to create the table, and insert each row into the table, which would look something like this: 

CreateXLSXCreateTableFromList.PNG

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

Re: I can't save a file as .xlsx type (Excel file), is this not possible? (see screenshot)

The problem is that the Create file action only supports text-based file creation (txt, csv, etc.). You'll need to start with a blank/empty .xlsx file, create a copy of that, populate the name dynamically, and save the file. 

Then you'd need to use the Excel connector to add rows to the table in the dynamically created .xlsx file. The problem with this will be reliability, because the Excel connector has many Known issues and limitations

With that said, the Plumsail Documents connector can cut down a number of these steps.  See their How to create Excel XLSX document from template in Microsoft Flow, Azure Logic Apps and PowerApps do... for more info.

If you could provide an expanded screenshot of your Flow and steps, and of any detailed error messages you're receiving we could likely better assist you. 

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

Highlighted
Helper IV
Helper IV

@Brad_Groux Thanks for helping me. See screenshots, can you maybe show with pictures what u mean, so I can understand it better. This is what I got now: 

1e.PNG2e.PNG

SP list:

Get items SP list.Get items SP list.

Highlighted
Helper IV
Helper IV

@Brad_Groux  Is there other file types that I can use instead of .txt with the create file action. I need something like Excel so I can save the file.

Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

You can create a CSV file using the Create file action. You can create an Excel file, but you then have to create the table, and insert each row into the table, which would look something like this: 

CreateXLSXCreateTableFromList.PNG

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Super User Program Update

Three Super User rank tiers have been launched!

firstImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

firstImage

Join the new Power Virtual Agents Community!

We are excited to announce the launch of Power Virtual Agents Community. Check it out now!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (6,008)