cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Microsoft Employee

I cannot select FileID in get file properties activity when flow is triggered manually

Hi! I have a flow that is supposed to be started for selected file. After I start the workflow I cannot use the "get file properties" activity, as FileID does not show on the list of selectable properties - the list of properties is empty. Any idea how to get properties of a file after starting flow from a file?

6 REPLIES 6
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: I cannot select FileID in get file properties activity when flow is triggered manually

Hi @PWrobel,

Could you please share a full screenshot of the configuration of your flow?

Are you using For a selected item as a trigger for Flow?

You could use the item ID output from For a selected item to populate it in the Id field of Get file properties.

Image reference:

2.PNG3.PNG

Flow works fine:

4.PNG

Best Regards,

Barry

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Microsoft Employee

Re: I cannot select FileID in get file properties activity when flow is triggered manually

Hi Barry

I'm using a "For selected file" trigger which returns the following data: user e-mail, fileid, user ID, user name, time stamp, contents. As I understand I have selected wrong activity - I should use the "selected item" trigger? In my case when I used the "selected item" trigger I could not select libraries, only lists.

Thanks

Pawel

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @PWrobel,

Could you share a screenshot of your Flow?

Sorry, I didn’t seem to understand what you meant before. I thought you wanted to use SharePoint-For a selected item.

Are you using OneDrive-For a selected file?

If so, you could use Get file metadata using path to get the ID and configure the file path of the trigger output in File Path field.

If not, please provide more details. Oddly enough, I didn't find the "get file properties" action in the OneDrive connector. Can you share a screenshot of it?

Best Regards,

Barry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Microsoft Employee

It's in Polish, so I'm not sure if it will be helpfull. 

This is the triggering activity:

trigger.png

This is what this activity returns:

return.png

Information link takes me here https://docs.microsoft.com/pl-pl/connectors/sharepointonline/#foraselectedfilehybridtrigger but I do not see any trigger activities there.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @PWrobel,

Here Trigger-For a selected file is For a selected item, SharePoint library is similar to SP List item, each file is equivalent to an item, so this Trigger can be shared.

Just configure the list name or library name (Enter custom value) in For a selected item--List name filed.

I think it should be the reason for the region, the name is different, but the function is the same.

Best Regards,

Barry

Claud87
Level: Powered On

Hi all,

The "For a selected file" still works in that way: it doesn't allow to set the FileId to "Get file properties" action, and the reason why it still does that seems it's because of the property type.

There's a workaround using "initialize variable" where you can set it with the FileId property choosing String as the type. This way you would be able to call that variable in "Get file properties".

Cheers.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 178 members 4,924 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: