cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CyMarven
Level: Powered On

I would like to update a record in one list with information updated in another list

I managed to get flow to add an item to a list (list B) when I added an item into list A. What I want to do is update list B when list A is updated. Any help appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: I would like to update a record in one list with information updated in another list

Hi CyMarven,

If you don’t mind to specify values for all required fields, you could create a flow looks like below to update List B when List A is modified.

update context.PNG

If you want to update just changed field for SharePoint items, but don’t want to specify values for all required fields, there is an idea on Flow Ideas Forum, please vote and comment this idea at here:
https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/Ability-to-update-just-changed-field-for-SharePoint-i...

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: I would like to update a record in one list with information updated in another list

Hi CyMarven,

If you don’t mind to specify values for all required fields, you could create a flow looks like below to update List B when List A is modified.

update context.PNG

If you want to update just changed field for SharePoint items, but don’t want to specify values for all required fields, there is an idea on Flow Ideas Forum, please vote and comment this idea at here:
https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/Ability-to-update-just-changed-field-for-SharePoint-i...

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
CyMarven

Amazing! So pleased. I have had this issue a while back and there was no solution as Flow would not look at the ID. I see it is now updated. Thank you very much.

Cy

CyMarven

Hi,

At first this seemed to work but I keep getting error Item not found on update

I think I understand the problem but cannot find the solution.

The problem appears to be the ID. When a new item is created in my primary list it creates a copy in my secondary list. I do not think that the ID is being copied too so for example if it is the 5th item in my primary list but it is the first item in the secondary list the IDs would be 5 and 1 respectivley. This means when I update the item it cannot be found. In create new item workflow there does not appear to be an choice to copy ID as seen belowno ID.png

Example of error

Body

{ "status": 404, "message": "Item does not exist. It may have been deleted by another user.", "source": "https://falmouthac.sharepoint.com/blah/_api/web/lists/GetByTitle('BlueTeam')/Items(7)", "errors": [ "-2130575338", "System.ArgumentException" ] }

flowerror.png

CyMarven

@v-yamao-msft apologies, but the update flow does not work as I thought it would , please see post above.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi Dobos,

Just as what you found, when using the action “SharePoint>Create item”, we don’t need to copy ID, as we are going to create a new item. But when we using the action “SharePoint>Update item”, we are asked to configure the ID field.

For example, in List A, you have modified an item which Id is 5, then the item also with Id5 in List B would be updated, if you don’t have this Id5 item in List B, your flow would be failed with the error “Item doesn’t exist”.

So if you have two same lists, List A and List B, you can use action “Update item”, while if you don’t have two same lists but just need to create a new list, you could use “Create item” action to create items.

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

CyMarven

Sorry @v-yamao-msft I must be missing something. I want to be able to create items in a new list based on the primary list. I want to have the ID copied as well otherwise I will not be able to keep that item current when I update the primary list. I cannot seem to find the option to copy over the ID when creating the new item which currently means I cannot update any items I create in the second list. Hope that makes sense

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi CyMarven,

I got what you mean. But currently the Id option in the action “Create item” is not supported. Please consider to submit an idea at Flow ideas Forum so it might be considered as a future release. I will also collect this request from my side:
https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

CyMarven

Thank you @v-yamao-msft. I have put it on the wish list. I would not see any issues with copying the ID over if the primary list was the only way items were created in the secondary list (they would always be unique). I can see issues if this were not the case however. I would only populate my seconadry list from the primary so that would be ok. I also thought it could work if I set my own key field up in both lists and used that as a reference but that also does not seem possible. It would add a great deal of power and security when it came to sharing list items. Something views does not address.

Kkrick

If you view this post and want this feature, please help us vote it up: https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/Have-the-Id-option-in-the-action-Create-item/idi-p/22...

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Watch the event on demand for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020.

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 379 members 4,239 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: