cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Power Participant
Power Participant

If column contains a person, notify that person

What i want to achive.

I have a Column in a SharePoint list named Assigned.

This column is a people/group column.

I want to build a flow that when the column Assigned contains a person it should send a email to that person.

If the column contains nothing the flow should exit or do nothing.

I can make so the column contains "Unanssigned" instead of blank if that helps.

I have tried using Switch and Control but im not able to achive it. I do not know how to use if command correct for this or if its even needed to be used?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @JimmyWork ,

The first thing to note is that when an existing item is modified is actually when an item is created or modified.

You could use the following method to configure Flow.

• Use Empty() function to determine if this field is empty. If it is empty, no action is configured.
  • If it is not empty, send an email to Assigned user.

Expression reference:

empty(triggerBody()?['Assigned'])

Image reference:

19.PNG

Besides, if it automatically apply Apply to each when configuring Assigned Email, this is normal. Because your field is set to Allow multiple selections, it will traverse all the users you choose by default and send the email to each user.

If you want to send only one email to all users, feel free let me know, I would provide example for you.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Frequent Visitor

Initialize a string variable . Then apply condition to it.  similar flow example can be found here :

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Flows/Assign-Approval-to-User-based-off-a-Value-in-a-Sh...

Thank you but i do not know how to do this, according to the link it uses "if"

Im not able to get it right in any way i try.

Column name = Assigned

If Assigned contains any value then notify the user in Assigned.

If Assigned is null do not run flow or exit.

2019-03-14 14_32_25-Run History _ Microsoft Flow.png2019-03-14 14_32_38-Edit your flow _ Microsoft Flow.pngFor some reason if value is null the flow will fail.

Condition is: Assigned contains AssignedDisplayName

But if the Assigned column is null the flow fails

Hi @JimmyWork ,

The first thing to note is that when an existing item is modified is actually when an item is created or modified.

You could use the following method to configure Flow.

• Use Empty() function to determine if this field is empty. If it is empty, no action is configured.
  • If it is not empty, send an email to Assigned user.

Expression reference:

empty(triggerBody()?['Assigned'])

Image reference:

19.PNG

Besides, if it automatically apply Apply to each when configuring Assigned Email, this is normal. Because your field is set to Allow multiple selections, it will traverse all the users you choose by default and send the email to each user.

If you want to send only one email to all users, feel free let me know, I would provide example for you.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Thank you so much, did this the trick Smiley Happy

For some reason this worked perfectly last week, now it does not. Nothing changed.

No the result is alwaus false no matter if the column Assigned To contains anything or not.

2019-03-29 13_45_16-Run History _ Microsoft Flow.png2019-03-29 13_45_36-Edit your flow _ Microsoft Flow.png

Never mind i made a space in the column in the trigger 

Helpful resources

Announcements
PP Bootcamp Carousel

Global Power Platform Bootcamp

Dive into the Power Platform stack with hands-on sessions and labs, virtually delivered to you by experts and community leaders.

secondImage

Power Platform Community Conference On Demand

Watch Nick Doelman's session from the 2020 Power Platform Community Conference on demand!

MPA Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the community blog page where you can find valuable learning material from community and product team members!

Top Solution Authors
Users online (5,341)