cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Import from Excel to Sharepoint according to a certain ID

Hey, 

I had SharePoint list where some information was missing, so I created a flow which imports data from Excel to SharePoint list, but it does it randomly. Is it possible for a flow to fill those empty gaps according to a certain ID or engagement code? 

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Re: Import from Excel to Sharepoint according to a certain ID

Hi mon2,

The answer to "is it possible", when it comes to Power Automate is usually, "probably".  😁

Can you elaborate on what these data sources are?  What fields do they have in common?  How are you triggering your flow?

At a high level, what you will probably end up doing is:

1) List the rows in your Excel sheet

2) List the items in the SharePoint list

3) Loop through all of the Excel rows

4) Within that loop, loop through all of the SharePoint items

5) For each SharePoint item, use a condition to check to see if they share some field value (unique identifier would be ideal)

6) If yes, populate data from Excel to SharePoint.  If no, do nothing.

The downside to a flow like this is that it can take a long time, since it is cross checking every single item manually.  So, if you have 500 Excel rows and 500 SharePoint items, the entire flow will end up doing 500 x 500 = 250,000 condition checks.  That could take a while.

Tom

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi mon2,

The answer to "is it possible", when it comes to Power Automate is usually, "probably".  😁

Can you elaborate on what these data sources are?  What fields do they have in common?  How are you triggering your flow?

At a high level, what you will probably end up doing is:

1) List the rows in your Excel sheet

2) List the items in the SharePoint list

3) Loop through all of the Excel rows

4) Within that loop, loop through all of the SharePoint items

5) For each SharePoint item, use a condition to check to see if they share some field value (unique identifier would be ideal)

6) If yes, populate data from Excel to SharePoint.  If no, do nothing.

The downside to a flow like this is that it can take a long time, since it is cross checking every single item manually.  So, if you have 500 Excel rows and 500 SharePoint items, the entire flow will end up doing 500 x 500 = 250,000 condition checks.  That could take a while.

Tom

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I have a SharePoint list where information about projects are contained, but now I have an update about some changes in excel file that haven't been uploaded to SharePoint list. so basically, my goal is to create a flow which updates information or inserts information if there was an empty space, but that needs to be done just in two SharePoint list columns according to a project number. 

My recent flow looks like this:

flow.PNG

So in first I take data from excel : 

fromexcel.PNG

Then from the SharePoint:

Itemsfromsharepoint.PNG

Then:

Condition.PNG

ifyes.PNG

I guess this is it. So now I'm stuck, because my flow updates information but not according to a project number.. 

Thank you so much for your help!

Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi mon2,

I think that logic looks right.  If you had the project number in both the Excel and SharePoint lists, you could use that in your condition to match the data source rows.  If project number isn't available in one of them, this isn't an option.  

What you have may work anyway, as long as:

1) Title is a unique field and

2) Title will never get updated

If it's not unique you could end up updating the wrong item in your SharePoint list.  If it title gets updated at somepoint, then it would no longer have a match between Excel and SharePoint (unless both data sources are updated manually).

Tom

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hey Tom, 

The project number column is available in both the Excel and SharePoint list, but maybe you could advice me how to use it in condition to match data source rows? 

Thank you,

Monika

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Upcoming Events

Experience what’s next for Power Automate

See the latest Power Automate innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (6,342)