cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Christo22
Frequent Visitor

In approval Flow unable to use emails selected from form question to trigger approval.

I have an approval process that I am trying to improve. I would like form submitters to be able to select who they submit the form too based on selections checked within a question within the form. I have amended the "Assigned to" section of the initial stage of the Approval and added the Dynamic Content related to the questions that allows selection of email recipients. The Flow has previously worked with static email addresses in the 'Assigned to" section but I am trying to reduce recipient form fatigue by ensuring that the approval only goes to the correct person/s.

Christo22_0-1669854450093.png

When I test the form in this configuration I get an error message

BadRequest. The request failed. Error code: 'InvalidApprovalCreateRequestAssignedToNoValidUsers'. Error Message: 'Required field 'assignedTo' contained no valid users in the organization'.

I know that the submitter checked addresses are valid as I have an "Update Row" action that records the email address in the spreadsheet, but unfortunately the Dynamic Content added addressed do not trigger the Approval process and send the request onto the chosen Approver/s. 

Is there something I am doing incorrectly or missing, or is this not possible this way?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. First time Help seeker.

5 REPLIES 5
v-liwei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Christo22 

This error occurs if we are trying to send the approval to the user which doesn’t exist in the organization or to the external users.

Here we have an option, to add the user as the Guest User.

Within Admin portal, navigate to Users >> Guest Users 

vliweimsft_0-1669860625077.jpegvliweimsft_1-1669860636705.png

The guest user needs to accept the invitation.

vliweimsft_2-1669860650145.jpeg

I think this link will help you:

Fixed – ‘InvalidApprovalCreateRequestAssignedToNoValidUsers’. Error Message: ‘Required field ‘assign...

You can also use the Send email with options method to achieve the same approval effect:

vliweimsft_3-1669860745399.jpeg

Best Regards,

Levi

Hi Levi,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

The "Send Email with Options" idea is great, except that our Approval process requires the ability to add Comments.

All of the email addresses that can be checked within the form question are @health.nsw.gov.au (Organisation emails) and are accepted if they are input as static addresses into the "Assign to" field. I will try making them Guest Users.

I'll get back to you soon.

I wonder if this will work better if I am operating within the work environment? Things definitely behave differently when I work at home on my personal computer, work email addresses are not automatically recognised etc.

Christo22
Frequent Visitor

Ahh, no chance of adding Guest Users as I have no admin rights, and no likelihood of getting rights either.

Back to the drawing-board.

Christo22
Frequent Visitor

Maybe discrete Approval Flows for each work group that all submit to the same spreadsheet. Static email addresses in the "Assigned to" sections therefore less recipients receiving forms from other work groups not requiring their attention.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Automate News & Announcements

Power Automate News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Automate community.

Community Calls Conversations

Community Calls Conversations

A great place where you can stay up to date with community calls and interact with the speakers.

Power Automate Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Users online (5,778)