cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JKlusacek
Frequent Visitor

Incremental numbering that is not based on an item ID

Hello, I need to consult Flow, which performs separate incremental numbering that is not based on an item ID.
I built Flow, according to this tutorial Solved: Adding Sequential Numbers to a SharePoint List Col... - Power Platform Community (microsoft.... and flow works, but it's very slow. The number is added in 1 min.
Is there an easier and faster way? I just need a number series to complete.
Thank you very much for your help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DamoBird365
Super User
Super User

Hi @JKlusacek 

Can you provide more details on the format?  

Will the id be set based on a trigger - when a file is created?

I think that as long as you have 1 file in the folder and the ID is in the same format, you can get files from a folder, order by the ID and return the top 1.  You can then extract the numerical value and add 1.  I created a column in my doc lib called DOCREF with format DOCREF-1001 etc

DamoBird365_0-1631545234312.png

DamoBird365_1-1631545321695.png

DamoBird365_2-1631546442172.png

The above works for me when I drop or create a new file but please make sure you do not have concurrency switched on the trigger as this needs to run serially.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Cheers,
Damien

P.S. take a look at my new blog here and like & subscribe to my YouTube Channel thanks 😉

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
DamoBird365
Super User
Super User

Hi @JKlusacek 

Can you provide more details on the format?  

Will the id be set based on a trigger - when a file is created?

I think that as long as you have 1 file in the folder and the ID is in the same format, you can get files from a folder, order by the ID and return the top 1.  You can then extract the numerical value and add 1.  I created a column in my doc lib called DOCREF with format DOCREF-1001 etc

DamoBird365_0-1631545234312.png

DamoBird365_1-1631545321695.png

DamoBird365_2-1631546442172.png

The above works for me when I drop or create a new file but please make sure you do not have concurrency switched on the trigger as this needs to run serially.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Cheers,
Damien

P.S. take a look at my new blog here and like & subscribe to my YouTube Channel thanks 😉

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (1,301)