cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Insightly New XXX trigger not launching

Hello, I created a new flow which is triggered by the creation of a new project.

When using the Test function on the Flow Editor, it simply times out. 

I have typed the API key three times already on the Connections screen to no avail. Whenever I edit the connection the API key shows empty but I would think that is by design in order to avoid leaking it.

The code for the trigger, as seen on the Flow Editor, is below.   

Btw, same happens with a New Lead trigger. 

Thanks!

(edited to improve formatting, content is unchanged)

{
    "inputs": {
        "host": {
            "connectionName": "shared_insightly",
            "operationId": "OnProjectCreated",
            "apiId": "/providers/Microsoft.PowerApps/apis/shared_insightly"
        },
        "parameters": {},
        "authentication": "@parameters('$authentication')"
    },
    "recurrence": {
        "interval": 5,
        "frequency": "Minute"
    },
    "splitOn": "@triggerOutputs()?['body/projects']"
}

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

I think I have found the reason for the failure and there is no solution with the current implementation of this connector.  Thank you @RaashiSen for pointing me in the right direction.

Unfortunately, this connector is not ready for prime time 😞

The Insightly instance we want to work with belongs to a small business yet it is quite a few yeards old. There are more than 4,000 contacts, more than 3,000 leads etc etc etc.  There is no record type with less than 500.

Per the connector's documentation (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/connectors/insightly/#known-issues-and-limitations), only the List Projects call implements pagination, as every retrieve call should do, according to the Insightly API rules. 

Furthermore, the connector's documentation (URL above) clearly states that pretty much nothing will work if there are more than 500 records - because of the pagination thing:

As per the Insightly API documentation, Insightly API returns maximum 500 records(contacts/events/projects/tasks). So all triggers/actions except 'List projects' will not work, if record count is more than 500.

* The reason why the List projects work is because the connector does implement pagination for List Projects.

That combined with the fact that no calls from the connector allow for passing parameters to the calls, at all (i.e. Get me the Project ID xx or Contact name YYY) makes the connector almost useless for real world applications. 

Well, it would work when the dataset is less than 500 records, and then every query would get the whole dataset and then one would have to loop through the returned collection and search for the data - inside the flow.   That is not useful. Pretty wasteful in fact, given that Flow tends to keep all data related to all runs for 28 days or something like that.

I've worked with the Insightly API for a very long time, and even though it is not the best documented in the world, it is quite complete.  This connector is almost useless  (it could be used to create records, and that's it).

The solution we had in mind would have involved Teams, OneDrive (Sharepoint in fact), Insightly and a mobile app. It's a shame that we won't be able to implement everything we had in mind - at least not yet.

Andrés./

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

hello @swax ,

If the test run is getting timed out, it means it didn't get the response from Insightly server on the API request to trigger the Flow. If any of the triggers from Insightly isn't working, I would suggest if you can check with other users in your team, facing similar issue on this connector.

Also, has this Flow worked for you before, or this is the first time you are seeing that it isn't working?

Here are the known limitations on this connector, as well as API limit, that you might want to review-

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/connectors/insightly/#known-issues-and-limitations

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/connectors/insightly/#limits

Highlighted

Hello, thank you for your reply and sorry about my late reply.

First, no trigger has worked before. Now, I decided to test with a "get" call instead of a trigger to make sure the API key etc are correct, and they are. I can pull data no problem.

But not a single trigger fires or has ever fired...   

The polling period seems to be a minimum of 5 minutes, so the test workflow would probably timeout indeed, but when leaving the workflow on, it has never fired...

Now, I wonder if triggers have worked for anyone?

Thanks all,

A. 

{
        "host": {
            "connectionName": "shared_insightly",
            "operationId": "ListLeads",
            "apiId": "/providers/Microsoft.PowerApps/apis/shared_insightly"
        },
        "parameters": {},
        "authentication": {
            "type": "Raw",
            "value": "@json(decodeBase64(triggerOutputs().headers['X-MS-APIM-Tokens']))['$ConnectionKey']"
        }
    }
}

B. 
And then the output of A gets into this variable, and it has a nice list of leads:

{
        "variables": [
            {
                "name": "resp",
                "type": "string",
                "value": "@{outputs('List_leads')?['body']}"
            }
        ]
    }
}

Highlighted

I think I have found the reason for the failure and there is no solution with the current implementation of this connector.  Thank you @RaashiSen for pointing me in the right direction.

Unfortunately, this connector is not ready for prime time 😞

The Insightly instance we want to work with belongs to a small business yet it is quite a few yeards old. There are more than 4,000 contacts, more than 3,000 leads etc etc etc.  There is no record type with less than 500.

Per the connector's documentation (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/connectors/insightly/#known-issues-and-limitations), only the List Projects call implements pagination, as every retrieve call should do, according to the Insightly API rules. 

Furthermore, the connector's documentation (URL above) clearly states that pretty much nothing will work if there are more than 500 records - because of the pagination thing:

As per the Insightly API documentation, Insightly API returns maximum 500 records(contacts/events/projects/tasks). So all triggers/actions except 'List projects' will not work, if record count is more than 500.

* The reason why the List projects work is because the connector does implement pagination for List Projects.

That combined with the fact that no calls from the connector allow for passing parameters to the calls, at all (i.e. Get me the Project ID xx or Contact name YYY) makes the connector almost useless for real world applications. 

Well, it would work when the dataset is less than 500 records, and then every query would get the whole dataset and then one would have to loop through the returned collection and search for the data - inside the flow.   That is not useful. Pretty wasteful in fact, given that Flow tends to keep all data related to all runs for 28 days or something like that.

I've worked with the Insightly API for a very long time, and even though it is not the best documented in the world, it is quite complete.  This connector is almost useless  (it could be used to create records, and that's it).

The solution we had in mind would have involved Teams, OneDrive (Sharepoint in fact), Insightly and a mobile app. It's a shame that we won't be able to implement everything we had in mind - at least not yet.

Andrés./

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (8,611)